Transmission surge and K&N air filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission surge and K&N air filter

Alfonso
02-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi, just for the record. My 2000 GAGT star to make some kind of transmission slip or surge, between 70-80 km/h, and in uphill. My mechanic says that was the pressure control solenoid (located inside the transmission, expensive to replace). But I read a TSB here in grandamgt.com about the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor dirt can cause a malfunction in the presure control solenoid of the transmission, caused mostly for non OEM air filters.
My mechanic look it the MAF sensor and it was really dirty! He clean it with dielectric spray, replace the K&N filter for the OEM filter, and the car it's running like the first day.
If you have this problem check your MAF before make a very expensive transmission repair.
I hope that it can help.

onesexyga
02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I've read recommendations that people who run performance filters should clean their maf sensors every 6 months. I suppose it the nature of a high flow filter. Letting more air in means letting a but more junk in.

I)ark-ChiLD
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
im having the same problem...would i be able to purchase dielectric spray from a local store?

onesexyga
02-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Yeah, an auto parts store should have it.

onesexyga
02-11-2008, 05:11 AM
I've also heard of using regular carb cleaner.

SSRacer
02-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Huh...I've been running a K&N for like five years and never has this problem. Guess I'll check the MAF when I do a tune up in the spring and see how it looks.

lvemy3100
02-11-2008, 06:58 AM
even if you dont run a K&N or other oil/cotton filter you should still be sure to keep the MAF clean to ensure proper sensor readings

I)ark-ChiLD
02-11-2008, 07:08 AM
how do you clean the maf exactly? q-tip? and do you concentrate on those metal things in the middle? i dont know the exact name sorry.

Alfonso
02-11-2008, 07:29 AM
My mechanic told me he clean the MAF without touch the metal things (resistors I think he says), just with the dielectric spray and compressed air. He donīt touch the resistors because are very easy to break.

stillriza
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
And where is this fuzzy maf??