check engine light....mind of its own.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : check engine light....mind of its own....

614GT95GA
02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
i must start by aplogizing if this has been already asked-but i dont have the patience to sit down and go thru the search....but i got a question....why would or what would make my check engine light come on out of no where? it usually comes on if i drive my car for about 45 minutes straight. It comes on, i can shut off the car-turn it back on after about 10-15 seconds, and the light be off. I was told it was my EGR valve(??) i dont know what the heck that is and where to look for it. Does this sound right to anyone?? if so, how much is a new valve and is it hard to replace?? what does EGR stand for?? what is its purpose??? thanx to anyone who can help....

Malaclypse
02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh boy.

The check engine light is turned on after a certain test of a component fails. Its not really a random thing.

As for your code though? If its a P1401, you'll need to have your PCM reprogrammed. There's an update to correct a false setting of the code for EGR valve closed position performance. Just ask the dealer. They'll know.

justin1982z28
02-12-2008, 07:57 AM
I have a 99 Grand Am V6 auto and I see you have a 95, but this may be helpful anyway. I had the check engine light come on a couple times, and it indicated that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve was bad. Autozone wanted $250. I removed the EGR, cleaned it with carb cleaner, and it hasn't come back. It was very easy to remove since it is two bolts into the exhaust roughly on top/driver side of the engine. I needed a ratchet and a socket. Maybe someone can post a picture and circle the EGR.

Also, if you don't have the patience to do a search, why should anyone take the time to type something to help you when you won't help yourself?

Justin

pontga00
02-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I have a 99 Grand Am V6 auto and I see you have a 95, but this may be helpful anyway. I had the check engine light come on a couple times, and it indicated that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve was bad. Autozone wanted $250. I removed the EGR, cleaned it with carb cleaner, and it hasn't come back. It was very easy to remove since it is two bolts into the exhaust roughly on top/driver side of the engine. I needed a ratchet and a socket. Maybe someone can post a picture and circle the EGR.

It's on the upper intake manifold, not the exhaust

bigstribs
02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
milzy has one for $30

justin1982z28
02-13-2008, 08:05 AM
It's on the upper intake manifold, not the exhaust

You're right, it mounts to the manifold. Sorry, I spend as little time with the hood open on the GA as it lets me.