Couple of issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Couple of issues

SSRacer
02-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Issue 1: Running cold.
It has been colder than usual around here lately and even after a full trip to work, the temp gauge is only reading about 150. I used to be able to sweat myself out in the winter after about 5 min, but the heat isn't getting as hot as usual. I put a 180 degree thermostat in the car when I did the LIM a few years back. I'm wondering if it could be stuck open. Any ideas how to test that theory without getting into replacing it, or any other ideas what it might be?

Issue 2: Low voltage at idle.
I got a Mr. Alternator High Output Alt four or five years ago when I put in my stereo. I have an Optima yellow top, MTX 1/2 farad cap, sony xplode 1000 watt amp and 2 sony 10's. I have pleanty of juice while I am driving, volt gauge reads at least 14 volts. But even with the radio off, I am way lacking at idle. Yesterday on the way home I had the radio off, headlights, fog lights, heater/defrost, rear defrost, and wipers on. When I would come to a stop my volt gauge would ddrop to below 12 volts. I'll probably get it tested, but does it sound like I need a new alternator to you guys? I have heard good things about Mr. Alt, but this thing has never put out much at idle.

timka86
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
re issue #2, HO output alts are designed for 750 rpm idle. GA's idle at 650, so that's why you're not getting any juice when standing still, best fix is to get a smaller alternator pulley.

SSRacer
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
If I could find an overdrive pully I would buy one. Been looking for years and nobody makes them as far as I can tell.

cardude007617
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
ah well i have that problem too with my HO alt. a deep cell battery helped a lil but i can still tell these things put out **** at idle. my best bet would be to DEFINTELY turn your rear defrost off at idle.... i guess just try to conserve power at idle. and have your battery checked because maybe its on the way out

timka86
02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
i guess it's possible to jack up the idle a little, but you'd have to change transmission settings too so it doesn't pull the car at the new higher idle. change the rpm range at which the transmission engages.

I don't know too much about that, I'm sure you could ask Mark (lvemy3100) MPRacing owner, he may be of more help if this is possible.

SSRacer
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
The battery has never given me trouble, but I guess I can get it checked too. I normally wouldn't have the rear defrost on but it was snowing yesterday and we weren't going fast enough to clear the back window so I had to keep it on the whole ride. This has also been an issue once before. On the way home from the Talladega race a few years ago we were in barely moving traffic at night for 4 hours. By the time we hit open road it took two hours to get back up to 14 volts because we were actually running on the battery most of the time stopped. And that was with nothing but the lights on.

cardude007617
02-12-2008, 03:17 PM
i guess it's possible to jack up the idle a little, but you'd have to change transmission settings too so it doesn't pull the car at the new higher idle. change the rpm range at which the transmission engages.

I don't know too much about that, I'm sure you could ask Mark (lvemy3100) MPRacing owner, he may be of more help if this is possible.

x2. when i had my pcm tuned, he mentioned that. at the time i didnt know much about it so i said just skip it. i wouldnt mind knowing more about doing that tho...