O2 Sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor

FastlaneV6GT
02-13-2008, 07:58 AM
My car has about 108k miles on it, and I dont think the O2 sensors have ever been replaced. I dont have an SES light, but my gas mileage and lower RPM acceleration could be better. Plugs and wires are good and filter is clean. Think I should replace one or both?

coupe
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
If it aint broke dont fix it

FastlaneV6GT
02-13-2008, 08:45 AM
I know on older cars it was part of a regular tune up...it may not be BAD, but could hurt performance and stuff. Is that the case with GAs?

coupe
02-13-2008, 09:00 AM
It was never part of a regular tune up.
If your not throwing a code for a bad O2 sensor (or a code that can be linked to a bad O2 sensor etc.) then there is no need to replace them/it.

Just do some basic tune up items like:
air filter
fuel filter
PCV valve
plugs and wires
get your injectors pressure cleaned
check your trans fluid, make sure its the correct color and smell
coolant flush

Dont go replacing parts if you have no evidence of them actually being bad.

SSRacer
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
If you are just noticing this in the past few months, could just be the gas. Gas companies use different formulations in the summer and winter. I have noticed that my car seems a bit sluggish and my mileage has dropped, just since winter started. Still planning a tune up for the spring, but I'm thinking the gas formulation could be the cause.

FastlaneV6GT
02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
It's not the gas. Mileage has been poor for a while.

Lab Rat
02-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I believe that 100000 mile service calls for changing 02 sensors. But at 135000 I have not changed mine yet. Maybe I will start looking for an inexpensive replacement.

01GT18s
03-05-2008, 02:45 PM
My 2001 Grand Am, has 104k, and I want to replace the 02 sensor, which one is best to replace, the one before or after the catalyc?

coupe
03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
My 2001 Grand Am, has 104k, and I want to replace the 02 sensor, which one is best to replace, the one before or after the catalyc?

It was never part of a regular tune up.
If your not throwing a code for a bad O2 sensor (or a code that can be linked to a bad O2 sensor etc.) then there is no need to replace them/it.

Just do some basic tune up items like:
air filter
fuel filter
PCV valve
plugs and wires
get your injectors pressure cleaned
check your trans fluid, make sure its the correct color and smell
coolant flush

Dont go replacing parts if you have no evidence of them actually being bad.

I still stand by this.
Even some of the things that i listed you dont need to change if there isnt anything wrong with them.

KhellendrosxS
03-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Coupe is right. 02 sensors either work or they dont, there is no sense replacing either of them unless there is a code that would suggest they are bad.

If you feel you have to replace one the one before the cat converter is the one the PCM uses to determine if the car is at the commanded AFR. The post cat O2 sensor is just used to make sure the cat converter is functioning properly.

SSRacer
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
This past weekend I changed my oil and filter, cleaned my air filter and MAF, replaced the PCV calve and replaced the fuel filter (84K on it), then dumped some fuel system cleaner in the tank. Instantly noticed more pep in her step.

lvemy3100
03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
gonna have to dissagree with some people here...

02 sensors will foul out over time and end up reading incorrectly and therefore giving you crappy MPG... not gonna get into the technical stuff that has to do with all of this right now but if you dont know how old they are or you just have the money and doubt the old sensors are working properly go ahead and change them out... worst case you now have new sensors.. best case your car runs better... kinda seems win win to me...