TCE throttlebody Problem.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : TCE throttlebody Problem..

jurgs2007
02-13-2008, 08:41 PM
ok, so i got my new throttlebody installed... but now im having the issue of when i accelerate or even just step on the gas, the throttlebody sticks and my car idles at high rpms... if i pop the hood and force the throttlebody to idle position, it sometimes will go back to normal, but not always.. any suggestions?

MilzyZ34
02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
ok, so i got my new throttlebody installed... but now im having the issue of when i accelerate or even just step on the gas, the throttlebody sticks and my car idles at high rpms... if i pop the hood and force the throttlebody to idle position, it sometimes will go back to normal, but not always.. any suggestions?

If I had to guess, I'd say the throttle plate is a little mis-aligned. I would remove the tb (you don't have to, but keeps you from dropping a bolt), and then loosen the tb plate bolts, then open and close it a couple times to get the plate to align itself, then tighten them back down.

I would also check to make sure that the throttle stop screw is set right against the linkage (the set screw it hits with the throttle closed)

silvergtjrad
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Ive had problems with this as well. I re-aligned the TB plate and it would be okay for a week or so then stick again after that. I took the plate back out again and cleaned up the scratches on the TB with steel wool and around the enture outside of the plate. Havent had problems since then.

geldartb
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
^^^^ what he said i had to tweak mine a little. but mine was more of an issue with the iac count

try adjusting the throttle stop screw first you prob have it set too far in. back it out a little before you go fiddling with the plate.

silvergtjrad
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
The first time it happened to me was immediately after the first time I sprayed the nitrous. I did a nice little run and came up to a light and my car was idling at 4k rpms and I nearly crapped myself, thinking something was seriously wrong.

stewartfn18
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
i also had this problem, however, i installed the plate backwards. there is an x somewhere on the plate and it has to be on the bottom facing out. Problem solved for me. And now i have 3 friggen idiot lights on but im not gonna go into it cuz i know what the problem is.

geldartb
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
the plate is cut at an angle so it will only fit correctly one way

MilzyZ34
02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
the plate is cut at an angle so it will only fit correctly one way

2 ways actually :)

Vegeta
02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32520

walkthrough for the TB assembly.

jurgs2007
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
well, it turned out that the sensor on the back that turns on the inside as you hit the gas wasnt on straight and was holding everything back. after i figured that out i was still sitting at 1300 rpms so i adjusted the set screw and now im idling at about 600 rpms. sounds nice at an idle now. too bad i cant take it for a test drive though... we got about a foot of snow or more soo far today. roads are slick.

blackgt2k
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
i just installed my 65mm tb tonight, i bought the tb pre-assembled. i know this may sound like a stupid question, but i rather be right then wrong. i hear a whistling noise at around 3-4k rpm, is that just the noise of the air going through the larger tb and UIM, or do i have a leak? I also have been having problems with my idle. though this was before the tb went on. i wonder if my IAC valve is going? any suggestions?

geldartb
02-28-2008, 09:46 PM
partly that and the way the passage is cut or angled that goes to the iac.

mine does that too forget what rpm's its up there but it screams loud sometimes.

silvergtjrad
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
If its a high pitched whistle then its likely a vaccum leak, but it would do that at idle too. I know a few people had vaccum leaks from between the TB and plenum. To me, the intake & TB combo sounds more like a howl.

blackgt2k
02-29-2008, 07:33 AM
it does sound like a howl, though it is hard to describe a sound in digital terms over the computer. ya know. though it only howls when i get on the throttle. idle sounds fine. and my idle is stabile around 1k. just acts up sometimes with the cold...

otherwise from what im gathering, this noise is normal. i do have a stage 3 intake with a ported and polished UIM, and a granatelli MAF sensor. so it is open all the way into the UIM, i dont see how i would not have some sound change especially upon acceleration.

jurgs2007
03-02-2008, 07:03 AM
i have the 62mm tb and a relocated cai and it makes the same noise around 3500-4500 rpms. i never heard this noise till i put in the cai, then it got a little louder when i put in the new tb. i think its normal because my car is running perfectly fine.

now about your car idling rough... mine used to do that for quite some time and it turned out i did have a vaccum leak. it was right in the intake header. the elbow that connected the hose to the header was cracked.
i replaced it and the car runs great now.