Car is slow below operating temp [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car is slow below operating temp

FastlaneV6GT
02-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Usually (especially in cold weather), my car is not as responsive when the engine temp is cold as it is when it reaches operating temp (around 180 degrees). There is also less power. Anyone know what it might be?

My guess is that at the colder temps the catalytic converter is unable to do its job as well, and the rear o2 sensor leans the fuel mixture or something. I dunno. What do you all think? Any way to stop this from happening?

cardude007617
02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
its stiff? lol

geldartb
02-17-2008, 06:29 PM
the rear o2 sensor has nothing to do with fueling. it is there to check if the cat is working.

FastlaneV6GT
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Any other ideas?

gectek
02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
yah a few comments, the transmission usually has the tendency when it gains a few miles to not allow power transfer when it is under operating temps as it does when it is completely warmed up, due to seals that are not sealing correctly or a few other problems, that is why the car feels sluggish. usually a good fluid/filter change and some good additive like lucas can help. also try changing ur engine oil to a more friendly winter weight oil, that will help too.

FastlaneV6GT
02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I did a fluid and filter change last summer...and I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 oil last week. It's better in the cold, but still sluggish.

rocketfast123
02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Not to be a smart ass but you answer your own question "Car is slow below operating temp"

KhellendrosxS
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Is it slow below operating temps all the time or is this just when its cold outside? Do you have any codes (SES light on)? If you do or did at one time take it to get it scanned at Autozone then tell us what the code is. Who knows you might get lucky and have something that would be easy to fix and solve your lack of power when below operating temps.

FastlaneV6GT
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Not to be a smart ass but you answer your own question "Car is slow below operating temp"

Not really. I have owned a few cars which ran better below operating temp...my car has no low end power and no responsiveness until it gets warmed up (after that it takes off like a rocket). It's a significant difference.

It's slow below operating temps all the time, but especially when it's colder outside. If the temp is below 1/4 it runs like that. Also, I don't have an SES light.

KhellendrosxS
02-22-2008, 09:11 AM
SES lights will turn off after so many ignition cycles at which time the PCM will store the code that was set. If there is something stored it might be a clue as to what is causing your sluggishness, but thats just a suggestion.

FastlaneV6GT
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't have any codes stored. The only ones I ever get are P0440 (the gas cap code), and whenever I get it, I clear it.

alerored04
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Why are you beating on it below 1/4 temp anyway?

FastlaneV6GT
02-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh wow, I actually have to justify myself. Fine, here we go:

When I get off work after 8 hours and begin the 15-minute drive home at night, i'd like to be able to have some responsiveness and power; especially if i'm stopped at a light next to some kid who thinks his Integra is fast.

Bottom line (and I said this before in my above posts): My car should not be that sluggish at lower temps. Now instead of continuing this thread on a tangent that does not help me, either keep your mouths shut or someone please give some more suggestions.

rocketfast123
02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
You also got to think you car is getting old. But i know what you are talking about, the car does not moves it just goes. At lease you don't to wait 5 seconds before your tranny engages each gear when its cold.

FastlaneV6GT
02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah...i'm glad my tranny is doing great at over 100K. My old Beretta would sit for about 20 seconds before the tranny would engage if it was cold outside. I guess thats what happens after 210k miles...

Panacea
02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Who knows, it just does. My mazda and my grand am and my wifes alero all are the same way.

BTW Beating on it when it's not fully warmed up is just asking for trouble. You can do some serious damage.