Replace front bumper cover? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replace front bumper cover?

GladdBag
02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone; just wondering if anybody would be able to help me out here. I need to replace the front bumper cover on my Grand Am. This seems like something that should be fairly easy to do, but thought I'd check in here to see first. I'm looking at a $1000-1200 bill to get it done at a shop, and I have found the part on the internet for as low as $80.

Any help anybody could offer in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.
-GB

bigstribs
02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
)ou have 3 10mm bolts attaching to the fender. Im not sure but you should have either 3 push plugs or bolts on the inside on the fender cover right in front of your wheels. On top you will have to remove the cover that sits on top (all are push pins). Next are the headlights, the are 2 clips that are holding each one in, you should be able to push these back and pull up. If not use a set of pliers and try. Make sure you unplug the lights. If you have any problems let me know!

DrFabulous
02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
It's pretty easy, I did it in my garage late at night without anything other than hand tools and shop lights. Took me about 6 hours to do the hood, both fenders, and the front bumper. You're looking at an hour or two, if you're fairly handy.

SSRacer
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
It's easy. Worst case, if you don't know where the attachment points are, grab an edge and lightly tug. Move toward where you feel the resistance. It really doesn;t take more than about 30 min to swap one out.

DrFabulous
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
It's easy. Worst case, if you don't know where the attachment points are, grab an edge and lightly tug. Move toward where you feel the resistance. It really doesn;t take more than about 30 min to swap one out.

It's going to take more than 1/2 hour from beginning to end.... ****, it takes me 15 mins to get everything ready and another 15 mins to clean up after lol

SSRacer
02-18-2008, 01:28 PM
It's going to take more than 1/2 hour from beginning to end.... ****, it takes me 15 mins to get everything ready and another 15 mins to clean up after lol

Slacker lol

Takes me a lot longer now due to the spoiler.

AznGA
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Be careful when shopping for bumpers on the internet. A lot of the cheap ones are aftermarket. I really haven't had experience with aftermarket bodyparts, but I personally always would stick with OEM parts.

SSRacer
02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
When I needed a new bumper and fender I got them from gmpartsdirect.com

GladdBag
02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Last question - will I have to raise up the front end to get to anything or is everything pretty much accessible from the ground?

You guys are great - lovin' this forum.
-GB

silvergtjrad
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Try checking out a junkyard for an already painted one. You should be able to access everything without having to jack the car up, although it may be easier to get at things.

DrFabulous
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Last question - will I have to raise up the front end to get to anything or is everything pretty much accessible from the ground?

You guys are great - lovin' this forum.
-GB

It'll make everything easier if you get it up in the air on some good sturdy jackstands. If you don't have any, it can be done from the ground.... by why not make it easier? lol

KennyP.
03-24-2012, 01:07 AM
How's the quality on that $80 eBay bumper? I'm considering purchasing.