disconnecting battery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : disconnecting battery

chrisjkru
02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Forgive me if this sounds stupid or has been asked before. I have had my 2004gt for 10 months now, and a month after I bought the car I put in a K@n filter, and in july 2007 I had a mgnaflow cat back put on with the resonator removed.Someone at worked asked me if I disconnected the battery to reset the computer so it would adjust to these mods? I didnt. Is this necessary? Is it too late to do so now? And if I do will I have any security problems with the factory monsoon radio. Years ago I had the alternator replaced in my lumina ltz and I didnt have the code for the radio so I had to take it to the dealer, and they had to put it in auxillary mode for I think 45minutes to clear it and enter a new code. Thank you.

alerored04
02-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Disconnecting the battery will not make it adjust for the mods. Only a tuned pcm or a laptop tuner can do that.

Lab Rat
02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Disconnecting the battery will not make it adjust for the mods. Only a tuned pcm or a laptop tuner can do that.

You are correct that having the PCM tuned is superior but the PCM will learn. It monitors just about everything motor related and it does tweek itself.

To the OP I believe after this much time your PCM has learned the new airflow from your mods. You have not hurt anything and probably will not help to disconnect the battery now.

AaronGTR
02-22-2008, 07:05 PM
You are correct that having the PCM tuned is superior but the PCM will learn. It monitors just about everything motor related and it does tweek itself.

To the OP I believe after this much time your PCM has learned the new airflow from your mods. You have not hurt anything and probably will not help to disconnect the battery now.

errr, wrong. Try again.

The ONLY thing the pcm learns and adjusts over time is transmission shift pressures and time as part of the adaptive trans learn feature. GM included this in the programming to account for transmission wear over time by the way each person drives their car.

As for the other things, the pcm will automatically adjust fueling during closed loop operation (low throttle) using the O2 sensor to adjust the air/fuel ratio and it can accommodate for small mods like exhaust and CAI. It only take 15-30 minutes for it to relearn the fuel trims. It does nothing for WOT fueling changes or ignition timing though. Also, if your long term fuel is more than +/- 4 that is not really ideal and the pcm should be tuned.

btw if anyone wants to know, when you disconnect the battery for a long time, the only thing you are reseting is your fuel trims. This does not reset the trans adaptive learn feature, or anything else. You have to do a full pcm write to reset that.