trans Q [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : trans Q

aaron89
02-23-2008, 07:57 AM
the trans is gone in my 00 grand am, (auto, 2.4) i was wondaring wat other cars it will fit from, will it from an older quad 4? im pretty sure the cavaliers and and sunfores with the 2.4 is hte same but not sure with the older quad 4 that came in the older grand ams and cavi's.

aaron89
02-24-2008, 08:13 AM
anyone kno?

AaronGTR
02-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Your transmission is a 4T40E (rpo code MN4). Most auto trans from similar years with 2.4l engines should work, but the easiest way to find out is to look up the particular car you are thinking of using as a donor and see what transmission it came with. You might be able to find the info on the gm powertrain website, or else run a search on google. The internet is your friend. ;)

aaron89
02-24-2008, 02:26 PM
i busted the trans line and diddnt realize it and it ran out of fluid , i drove it till it woildnt move thought the trans was gone wen i realized the line was broke lol anyways im gona try filing it with fluid to see if it will work for a while till i get a new one, whats the chances of this? and do anyone kno how many quarts of fluid it will hold?

AaronGTR
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Um, well... if it wouldn't move thats probably because the fluid got so low that the torque converter got empty and wouldn't grab. It's possible that you might be able to fill it up again and get it to move... but there's no telling if you did any other damage to the pump or other internal parts, so there's no telling how long it will last. Just have to give it a try and see.

williamGT
02-25-2008, 12:39 AM
I see your from Newfoundland....Is your motor rusty. The reason I asked a co-worker of mine (from NL) has a 2003 Chevy Cavalier, man the engine is rusty, but the body is not.

aaron89
02-25-2008, 10:54 AM
nope my motors not rusty, or the body actualy surprising, but yah ill fill it up and try it again see wat happens, i can get one for 300 with 60k on it