Filter Choice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Filter Choice

Tank33
02-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I searched, and did not come up with anything for this.

Every Cold Air Intake kit I find has the crappy K&N filter on it. I know alot of people swear by these, but I despise these filters.

Is there a cone filter that one can buy that will fit on the CAI kit, and can just change like a regular filter? By that I mean, after so many KM's or months, take it off, throw it out and buy a brand new one.

Tonyyank
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
everyone swears by them becuase they are the best. Any cone filter with the same diameter as your pipe will work just fine.

Heres one with a S&B Powerstack filter. They are very easy to remove and replace.

http://www.mpracing.org/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19

Tank33
02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Thank You. :wave:

The reason I do not like K&N's is because they have an oil in them. Yes, it makes it sticky so it catches alot of dirt, but it also becomes clogged much faster, in my experience. I had one on my last vehicle and it took out my MAF sensor to boot.

AaronGTR
02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Thank You. :wave:

The reason I do not like K&N's is because they have an oil in them. Yes, it makes it sticky so it catches alot of dirt, but it also becomes clogged much faster, in my experience. I had one on my last vehicle and it took out my MAF sensor to boot.

Duh, just about any cone filter does have oil on them. That includes the S&B. It's necessary for any cotton gauze filter to work. Otherwise they'd filter even less dirt than they do already because they are a high flow filter. That's why they have to be cleaned periodically. You can throw them out and replace them if you want though just like a paper filter. They won't "take out" your maf sensor either. If you over oil them, they might get the sensor wires dirty, but that is simple to fix. Just spray with some electrical cleaner.

AEM does have a new filter out made of a different material that doesn't require oil. AEM dryflow FAQ (http://www.aempower.com/Faqs.aspx?CategoryID=93) Haven't heard anything about how good they filter, but they won't cause any sensor problems.

Tank33
02-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Sweet link, thanks!

williamGT
02-25-2008, 12:49 AM
I love my K&N cone filter.

baker07
02-25-2008, 06:38 AM
me too

supersilvergt00
02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Sorry nothing but the best filter for my car.

Tonyyank
02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
K&N in the bimmer and the chevy :)

Nick-G
02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I would never even consider anything less than a k&n.