New GT owner, need help!! :) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New GT owner, need help!! :)

oldcarchick77
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey guys! I picked up a really nice little 97 GT with a 3.1 for pennies. The story was that the car had had the motor replaced, and had just been sitting a long time, and was supposed to have a miss. I got it to start for 1 to 3 seconds at a time, but it would always shut back off. It sounded good when it ran though. I changed the fuel filter which was clogged somewhat and it did the same thing. It seems to have good pressure at the fuel rail. Someone chopped up the wiring for an alarm system, and the steering column was taken apart. There are 5 wires going to the key area. I know this car had anti theft with a special key, and it was apparent that someone ahd been crossing them over trying to get it to start. So, what did I do? I crossed the pair of 2 wires there, and it killed the gauges and ignition, and all dash lights. Just so you know, I am normally a very good mechanic, but I feel stupid for doing that now. Did I kill the computer? Why didnt a fuse blow first? There wasnt even a spark. Any ideas? Thanx guys!

oldcarchick77
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
after searching the forums I am finding what I need I think, but I still do not know if I killed it by touching those wires. there is a set of three wires, and a plug with two wires, hanging next to where the cylinder WAS. The original lock cylinder is gone.... can I cut this yellow wire and hope it starts? I didnt disconnect the battery, but if I do will it come back to life? lol thanx

oldcarchick77
02-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Ok, can I just pick up a lock cylinder and a BCM at the junkyard, and being keyed to work together, would that work? I got this car for 200 bucks theres gotta be a way to do this cheap.... ugh. i need to go back and see if it is still dead. Wish I hadnt crossed those wires.

AaronGTR
02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, not being an expert on 97's... I'd say you need a factory manual for the car. Something with the wiring diagrams. That should tell you what all those wires are and how they are supposed to be hooked up, and how to replace the ignition key cylinder and all that. Sorry I can't be of more help.