No traction in snow [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No traction in snow

axxman
02-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi all. Iím having an issue I hope someone can help me with. Itís a 2000 GAGT.

Iíve been having the well known issue where the Low Trac light comes on when backing up with the wheels turned etc. From what Iíve seen on this forum this is most likely a wheel speed sensor or a hub, so I wasnít too worried about it until I noticed the other symptom.

I have almost no traction in the snow, I canít hardly get up minor hill. Itís like only one wheel is getting power or something. If I have the ETS turned on, it just constantly brakes. If I turn it off, I canít start moving without spinning, and the car always slips to one side.

After almost not making it home in the snow last week, and being passed up by an old lady in a rear wheel drive vehicle who gave me a dirty look, I took it in to the dealer for repair.

They told me that the computer isnít generating a problem code so they canít tell what is wrong with it. They could recreate all of the symptoms I reported, but they said they have no idea what the problem is without a code to go by. So basically theyíre refusing to work on it.

Seriously, if the hub is bad, couldnít you take it off and just look at it and tell? If itís a CV joint canít you tell without depending on a computer code?

AnywayÖ Any thoughts on what it might be? I would really appreciate any feedback you guys can provide.

SSRacer
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
First of all, you probably do have just one wheel getting power, GA's don't have limited slip diffs, so we essentially have one wheel drive.

When we had snow last week, I had to turn my traction control off just to get moving.

llsht14
02-26-2008, 03:25 PM
go to mpr and get the limited slip. I bet its pretty sweet

iceman
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
what kind of tires? unless you have snow tires, most tires don't even stick to the ground in cold weather.

nascarnate326
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
How much snow do you have? Unless its something major I wouldnt bother fixing it. When the hub(wheel sensor) on my GA went out, it turned Traction Control and ABS off. Good luck with it.

axxman
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. I know it isn't the tires, or just how it handles in snow. I've been driving this car since I bought it new in 2000, and Iím quite familiar with how it drives in snow. Something is for sure wrong with it. Iíve lived in Iowa all my life so I know how to drive in snow, Iím pretty sure itís a real issue. The dealership admitted the problem, but they just are unwilling to attempt repair because there is no error code to tell them what to do.

Jeez, how did we survive before we had computers in our cars?

cardude007617
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
could his open diff be failing?

axxman
02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
could his open diff be failing?

Wouldn't that produce an error code?

AaronGTR
02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Not really, since there are no electronics monitoring the diff.

It's possible the diff (or something else in the trans) is wearing out, but it's not very common. Might want to check the trans fluid. Has it ever been changed, or the level checked recently?

Only other things I can think of is that you need better tires, or that there is a problem with the TCS that makes it think the tires are spinning when they aren't and cuts power so you can't get any acceleration. Did you try turning the TCS off and see if you could get moving?

axxman
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Not really, since there are no electronics monitoring the diff.

It's possible the diff (or something else in the trans) is wearing out, but it's not very common. Might want to check the trans fluid. Has it ever been changed, or the level checked recently?

Only other things I can think of is that you need better tires, or that there is a problem with the TCS that makes it think the tires are spinning when they aren't and cuts power so you can't get any acceleration. Did you try turning the TCS off and see if you could get moving?

The tires and trans fluid are fine. With the TCS off, the car always spins and pulls to the left. with it on, you can't hardly move either, the end result is the same. No matter how easy you hit the gas, you always spin or the TCS kicks in.
Also remember the Low Trac light keeps comming one randomly. But the dealer says there's no error code.
What about a CV joint?

AaronGTR
02-26-2008, 07:50 PM
CV joint, I don't think that would cause the low trac light to come on. I suppose it's possible. Low trac/ABS etc is usually caused by faulty wheel speed sensors in the hub, but not always.

If the car's always pulling to one side, I'd say one wheel is spinning faster than the other, so it's either the diff, or something else making resistance on that one side. ie a bad wheel bearing, either CV joint, output shaft bearing on the trans... who knows.

axxman
02-26-2008, 08:00 PM
CV joint, I don't think that would cause the low trac light to come on. I suppose it's possible. Low trac/ABS etc is usually caused by faulty wheel speed sensors in the hub, but not always.

If the car's always pulling to one side, I'd say one wheel is spinning faster than the other, so it's either the diff, or something else making resistance on that one side. ie a bad wheel bearing, either CV joint, output shaft bearing on the trans... who knows.

I'm so tired of pouring money into this car. In the last two and a half years over $5000. The car is just barely worth that much.

I'd think the hub/wheel bearing make the most sense.