Leaking Fuel Filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fuel Filter

alerored04
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I changed my fuel filter last week and the other day i noticed a puddle under my car as i backed out of the garage. Definitely fuel. The puddle is a little smaller than a hockey puck. I went back under there and checked it out, the filter is leaking through the threads on the hard line end. I removed the threaded nut to check them, it seems that they are so corroded that i cannot tighten it enough to stop the leak. I was wondering if gasoline will eat through teflon tape or plumbers dope/putty. I was contemplating using that to fix it but thought i would ask here first. I have also been having an issue with hard starts which i am sure is attributed to low fuel pressure but the car is also idling at about 1,300 rpm when driving, which means it will do 20 mph without me touching the pedal. Would my fuel leak cause this as well? Thanks for the help and ideas.

rustyballs_69
02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Gas will eat teflon tape. It will turn it into a gummy mess.

I just read something about yellow teflon tape that is designed for gas fittings. I have never seen yellow though.

alerored04
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Well I am glad I thought that might happen and asked first. That could have been a big pain in the ass to clean up. It seems to be getting better, Hopefully it needed to seat itself in there.

rustyballs_69
02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Hopefully it seats.

alerored04
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I think it did. I drove it right after i posted and did not see a puddle in the garage. I also popped the hood and checked my tb, there is something in my 65mm tce that is sticking. I pressed it back down to normal 900 rpm idle and it stayed there. Thank you for the help, if it continues i will update.

nickofcourse
02-27-2008, 11:16 PM
i do believe the yellow teflon tape is for natural gas and not gasoline. i could be wrong though. like natural gas fittings for stoves and such.

AleroME
02-28-2008, 12:05 AM
in the hardline of the fuel line to the filter there is an o-ring. Replace that and it'll stop the leaking.

alerored04
02-28-2008, 11:08 AM
where is it? There doesn't seem to be a place for an o ring that i can think of. Unless it is between the fuel line and the nut, but it is leaking through the threads.

AleroME
02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Its on there.. I had messed up my o-ring on mine when changing out my fuel filter before. Like 8 bucks at the dealer. They can give u a diagram on where its at. But it is there.

alerored04
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks. If I notice it leaking more I will try that.