heating problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : heating problems

ridefas78
02-28-2008, 09:39 AM
im having a little problem with the heat on my car...wen its at idle and low rpm's it blows cold air...but when i get on it a bit it blows hot air again...not sure exactly wat else i could put down but if u guys have any kind of idea it would b great

jduce
03-01-2008, 08:37 PM
im having a little problem with the heat on my car...wen its at idle and low rpm's it blows cold air...but when i get on it a bit it blows hot air again...not sure exactly wat else i could put down but if u guys have any kind of idea it would b great

This happened to me last winter. After a couple days of experiencing your problem I had a cylinder misfire. Then I got a block test done on it and the shop determined a head gasket leak. Exhaust gasses were getting into the coolant system - which is why I had no heat while idling.

hass
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I have the same exact problem, except my car will always overheat the first time it warms up... like from a cold start, it will overheat very badly... So I shut it off around 240-250... Then it sit there, I turn the key to on, then off... [I have the DHP PCM, so fans run 2mins after shutoff when above operating temp], so once it gets to around 200-210, I start it back up...
Then after about 20-30 secs, then temp will drop down to 190ish, [I have 180 degree t-stat].
Then it will be fine after that, and never warm up above 205-210 again.
But it still blows cold air at idle, and warm air when in motion.

:\

Just replaced the LIM as of a couple days ago since it was leaking.
Looks like I may tear it all apart again =) yay.

juanvan
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Sounds more like you have a stuck thermostat, I would look into that or get the coolant checked for exhaust fumes, before ripping into the block again.

baker07
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
i would try flushin the system u may have build up the the heater core lines n when ur water pump pumps faster it may be just gettin by.

ridefas78
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
well im leaking antifreeze idk were its comming from is there a common spot on these cars so i can see if its leaking form there? and i kno its not a head gasket because its not smoking and oil is clean...

hass
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Sounds more like you have a stuck thermostat, I would look into that or get the coolant checked for exhaust fumes, before ripping into the block again.
Replaced that with a 180 Tstat a few weeks back, first thought that was the problem.
Does the exhaust fume test look for a head gasket leak I assume?

i would try flushin the system u may have build up the the heater core lines n when ur water pump pumps faster it may be just gettin by.
Did that.

juanvan
03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Does the exhaust fume test look for a head gasket leak I assume?

Well it would be the same, you would have the white smoke, and the absence of coolant from the system with no visible puddle.

At this point, I would warm the car and take a thermal reading of all coolant paths and make sure its traveling properly.

ridefas:
If the bleeder on the water pump is dripping, it usually only happens when operating. But you will notice the belt, and hood mat are sprayed with coolant. That and on top of the transmission in front of the fill cap, there is a little levee that it will sometimes collect in.

ridefas78
03-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Well it would be the same, you would have the white smoke, and the absence of coolant from the system with no visible puddle.

At this point, I would warm the car and take a thermal reading of all coolant paths and make sure its traveling properly.

ridefas:
If the bleeder on the water pump is dripping, it usually only happens when operating. But you will notice the belt, and hood mat are sprayed with coolant. That and on top of the transmission in front of the fill cap, there is a little levee that it will sometimes collect in.

its all figured out...i guess the people that i got the car from did the lim gasket and the hose that is under the intake manifold they put squeze clamps instead of the screw on ones and it leaked that way but its all done now