leaking coolant and oil [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : leaking coolant and oil

ridefas78
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
i read the sticky and just wondering if i get the gasket kit is and it leaks anywere else were could it be comming from? because about every4days or so i have 2 fill up the coolant tank back up...and there is nothing in my oil so i dont have 2 worry about that...and would it b easier 2 just take it somwere 2 get it done or is it really easy enough 2 do it your self...and another thing im leaking oil but have no idea were its comming from...is there a spot that is a common problem that i could just check? ok thankyou for looking and any help that you can give me

timberwoof
03-03-2008, 10:36 PM
That sounds like the LIM is leaking. There are HOW TOs on here giving you advise about how to do all this.

flan flan
03-03-2008, 10:54 PM
yea the coolant is prob the lim...its pretty easy to do just very time consuming basically half a day. when you checked the oil did you check the inside of the valve covers? when mine was leakin nothing showed up on the dipstick or oil cap but on the inside of the covers i had all orange mayoniaise. (sp?) for the oil leak i would just look for spots that have excessive residue wipe it clean and see if it comes back and thats prob where you leak is.

ridefas78
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
yea the coolant is prob the lim...its pretty easy to do just very time consuming basically half a day. when you checked the oil did you check the inside of the valve covers? when mine was leakin nothing showed up on the dipstick or oil cap but on the inside of the covers i had all orange mayoniaise. (sp?) for the oil leak i would just look for spots that have excessive residue wipe it clean and see if it comes back and thats prob where you leak is.

now for the orange mayo thing u said lol wat does that mean...exactly i see thats its orangy but it dont look like its thick

timberwoof
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
that means you have to dexcool antifreeze in your car and it leaked into your engine, mixing with the oil.

ridefas78
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
that means you have to dexcool antifreeze in your car and it leaked into your engine, mixing with the oil.

well how do i kno if it came threw the heads or intake manifold? but it doesnt look like its anitfreeze it looks like it might just b stained from the oil but not 100%sure ill take a look again but doesnt look like anything different then just oil stain...

ridefas78
03-04-2008, 01:08 PM
how hard is it to change the valve cover gaskets. is it a difficult process?

freakydeaky
03-04-2008, 01:22 PM
if you're not very mechanically inclined, you should have a professional do it.... it's not too awful hard, as long as you have the right tools.... my mechanic furnished the gasket kit and installed it for $550.... one thing you might check if you don't have that "white/ milky/ thick" mixture going on in your coolant tank is the tank cap, if it's not a tight seal the coolant tends to evaporate

ridefas78
03-04-2008, 02:11 PM
if you're not very mechanically inclined, you should have a professional do it.... it's not too awful hard, as long as you have the right tools.... my mechanic furnished the gasket kit and installed it for $550.... one thing you might check if you don't have that "white/ milky/ thick" mixture going on in your coolant tank is the tank cap, if it's not a tight seal the coolant tends to evaporate

i took the oil cap off and looked inside and stuck a screwdriver into it and it was just plane oil so there is no antifreeze in there...yea but it would evaporate that fast because the cap isnt tight? i know that the cap screws on weird and comes off weird idk if its loose tho

ridefas78
03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
well figured it out...it was a clamp who ever put the new motor and intake gasket in didnt put the screw clamps on:bleep: