air intake [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : air intake

silversurfer03
03-06-2008, 01:14 AM
i am looking to upgrade my air intake system. meaning throttle body and air filter box.i was wondering what are the beneficial differences between cold air intake and short ram intake?,and if there are any supporting mods i need to do to incorperate an upgraded intake system/throttlebody?

williamGT
03-06-2008, 01:36 AM
CAI is better, but if you have lots of puddles on the road then it will act like a vaccum cleaner....I have a WAI I love it, It whisles when I punch it....I have lots of rain here so WAI is for me...MP Racing CAI is awsome.
This is mine.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=599&d=1192353386

onesexyga
03-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Get a CAI, you'll be fine unless you totally submerge it. Throttle body is fine. Go for a cat back next.

DrFabulous
03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
i am looking to upgrade my air intake system. meaning throttle body and air filter box.i was wondering what are the beneficial differences between cold air intake and short ram intake?,and if there are any supporting mods i need to do to incorperate an upgraded intake system/throttlebody?

CAI will bring in cooler air than a short ram. Cooler air = more power (but not much).

As for supporting mods, I would say get new exhaust. That will be a good start for breathing mods.

DOHC_tuner
03-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Cold air means densor air, thus allowing more air to enter the cylinders.
(filter usually is located near the fender)

Warm air/short ram, is just where the filter sits inside the engine compartment sucking in all the hot temp. that the engine gives out.

To fully utilize an intake or upgrade the intake is to:
-port n polish head
-oversize valves
-might aswell swap out for some bigger cams since your in there
-and to conclude.....headers and a good exhaust such as a high flow cat aswell

angrysk8r
03-06-2008, 09:18 AM
a WAI won't see very much hot air unless you're sitting still, as soon as you start moving even a little the intake temps pretty much go to ambient (iat verified with a scanner)

You will see slightly better gains with a CAI though, but nothing noticeable

lvemy3100
03-06-2008, 09:52 AM
a WAI won't see very much hot air unless you're sitting still, as soon as you start moving even a little the intake temps pretty much go to ambient (iat verified with a scanner)

You will see slightly better gains with a CAI though, but nothing noticeable

gonna have to disagree.. I run a wai in the winter just to get the warmer air as even at 50mph with -2* ambient temps the iat's stay 10-12* hotter (verified by scanner MANY MANY TIMES)

when temps stay above 32* consistently I go back to my CAI which runs only 5*'s hotter than ambient when sitting for 10-15 minutes and runs at exact ambient once you start moving.. this also has been verifiedby scanner MANY MANY TIMES. If you were to run a WAI during the summer you will find your IATs to be much higher vs ambient than running the WAI in the winter..

lvemy3100
03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
To fully utilize an intake or upgrade the intake is to:
-port n polish head
-oversize valves
-might aswell swap out for some bigger cams since your in there
-and to conclude.....headers and a good exhaust such as a high flow cat aswell

he asked what supporting mods he NEEDS and those things are certainly not NEEDED but they are great mods to do ;)

silversurfer03
03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
thanks for all the input guys.it has been very helpful.allthough cai produces minimally more power im gonna have to go with the wai due to the snowy,rainy and slushy conditions here.there are alot of deep puddles in the potholes on canadas horrid roads.

silversurfer03
03-06-2008, 10:23 AM
gonna have to disagree.. I run a wai in the winter just to get the warmer air as even at 50mph with -2* ambient temps the iat's stay 10-12* hotter (verified by scanner MANY MANY TIMES)

when temps stay above 32* consistently I go back to my CAI which runs only 5*'s hotter than ambient when sitting for 10-15 minutes and runs at exact ambient once you start moving.. this also has been verifiedby scanner MANY MANY TIMES. If you were to run a WAI during the summer you will find your IATs to be much higher vs ambient than running the WAI in the winter..

i was just wondering are you suggesting using a wai in the winter and a cai in the summer?

lvemy3100
03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
i was just wondering are you suggesting using a wai in the winter and a cai in the summer?

indeed.... I only run the WAI int he winter because int he summer it will reduce power.. in the winter the the WAI wont see hot enough temps for it to reduce timing or change power significantly (how much power do you need in the winter anyways)

I could care less about snow, water or slush as they have no effect on the CAI... if it wasnt for the fact that I get better mpg in the winter with the WAI i wouldnt even bother changing it...

also if you buy a CAI you can convert it to a WAI whenever you want so you may want to keep that in mind before you make your purchase

cardude007617
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
i have to second the cai all year around. i live in wisconsin and this season we're getting dumped on. iv run the cai thru 2 feet of snows, wet snow, dry snow, blowing snow, ice storms, RAIN RAIN RAIN. my car still works, no hydrolock.
as long as you dont go boating with the grand am, your fine with a full cai.

Molson
03-06-2008, 01:46 PM
please use the search function, there are 2134213908 threads on this subject.

(Numbers are approximate)