Starting Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

sam95ta
03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I need help with a starting problem,any sugestions are greatly appreciated.2002 GT starts fine when cold or hot,however some times after driving for a while and I park it for say half hour to an hour it will crank but not start.Eventually it will start after trying 20 times.Plugs and fuel filter have been changed and security light is off.

DoCDooM
03-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi man,

Check your fuel pressure.

There is a valve on the end of the fuel rail on top of the engine on the passengers side of the car.

This thing resembles a large tire valve, try to startthe car, shut it off and get out, unscrew the cap use a pen and push in thepin in the valve.

The gas should just shoot out, if it spurts or dribbles your fuel pump is going on you.

Unlike most cars, the fuel pump in an N body can take months to fail completely, it just gets worse and worse.

Dealerships use this as a reason to charge several hours of diagnostic time, I find it hard to believe that the mechanics at GM dealerships have no experience at all but that is what it seems like.

After a long enogh time the car will, from time to time, stop working on the road while driving ... and then start again after a few minutes ... or not.

Replace the entire fuel tank insert module (it's expensive) but the whoile module is garbage out of the box from GM, use aftermarket parts if you can get them.

Have you noticed that yout fuel gauge sticks as well?

The pressure regulator can also leak or stop working in the module.

The failing to start and crank forever issue is the first symptom.

GM blamed this problem on "dirty" fuel in late 2005, (elemental sulphur found in gas supplies in New England and Eastern Canada, this was bull K**P, it was faulty product.

C_Ya man.

Dan

I need help with a starting problem,any sugestions are greatly appreciated.2002 GT starts fine when cold or hot,however some times after driving for a while and I park it for say half hour to an hour it will crank but not start.Eventually it will start after trying 20 times.Plugs and fuel filter have been changed and security light is off.

sam95ta
03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi man,

Check your fuel pressure.

There is a valve on the end of the fuel rail on top of the engine on the passengers side of the car.

This thing resembles a large tire valve, try to startthe car, shut it off and get out, unscrew the cap use a pen and push in thepin in the valve.

The gas should just shoot out, if it spurts or dribbles your fuel pump is going on you.

Unlike most cars, the fuel pump in an N body can take months to fail completely, it just gets worse and worse.

Dealerships use this as a reason to charge several hours of diagnostic time, I find it hard to believe that the mechanics at GM dealerships have no experience at all but that is what it seems like.

After a long enogh time the car will, from time to time, stop working on the road while driving ... and then start again after a few minutes ... or not.

Replace the entire fuel tank insert module (it's expensive) but the whoile module is garbage out of the box from GM, use aftermarket parts if you can get them.

Have you noticed that yout fuel gauge sticks as well?

The pressure regulator can also leak or stop working in the module.

The failing to start and crank forever issue is the first symptom.

GM blamed this problem on "dirty" fuel in late 2005, (elemental sulphur found in gas supplies in New England and Eastern Canada, this was bull K**P, it was faulty product.

C_Ya man.

Dan
Thanks for the info.I will give this a try.