2000 GA GT 3.4L Top End Ticking. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GA GT 3.4L Top End Ticking.

eBandit
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I went to start the GA about a week ago and it was making a loud ticking noise coming from the top end (at least it sounds like it is), it didnt go away (didnt run it long, wasnt sure if ok to) and stayed consistant with engine revs (only did it a little).

Any ideas what to check or where to start, Im not to good with engine noises? I will try to post a link to a sound recording tomarrow if I can. It not a knock, just a constant tick tick tick tick tick.

I hate to have to replace the engine and am afraid to drive it until I know what is going on. My mother was in the hospital for a week until last night and I havnt had time to even look at it. Anyone near Dayton, OH. who has time to stop by and look at it (who knows what they are doing), I would offer a few dollars if they figured it out (or could exchange services, I have welders and such if they needed something fabricated etc...) I just need to figure this out and am stressed out at the moment.

cardude007617
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
piston slap. normal. dont worry about it.
/thread...

i am not a mechanic, most GAs have this tho, most 3400s actually have this.

hass
03-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Piston slap goes away after the car warms up though.

Usually something to do with the heads/rockers is the constant ticking as you speed up.
My parents Suburban with a vortec 5.3L did that.
We rebuilt the entire thing, heads remilled and such, and no ticking ;D

williamGT
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
piston slap. normal. dont worry about it.
/thread...

i am not a mechanic, most GAs have this tho, most 3400s actually have this.
I agree, my car had it they replaced 6 pistons problem gone. Now its starting again

stewartfn18
03-07-2008, 07:09 AM
since he said TOP END, im gonna rule out piston slap and say that its either worn pushrods or rockers or a combination of both. My 2 cents. if there is any way you can get a mechanics stethescope, do so and just start poking around until you hear where the noise is the loudest.

hass
03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
since he said TOP END, im gonna rule out piston slap and say that its either worn pushrods or rockers or a combination of both. My 2 cents. if there is any way you can get a mechanics stethescope, do so and just start poking around until you hear where the noise is the loudest.

+1

Re torquing rocker arms sometimes can fix it.

had to do it on our suburban.

eBandit
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone. Its snowing out and Im not feeling to great today so I havnt recorded the sound yet, but I have had the piston slap thing for a bit and it goes away when it warms up, this is different. Very well could be the rockers or pushrods.

Anyone know the torque specs for the rocker arms?

stewartfn18
03-07-2008, 04:29 PM
i believe its only like 150 inch pounds. its not alot.

rustyballs_69
03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
168 in-lbs then an additional 30 degrees.

eBandit
03-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out monday or tuesday.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for on this engine as far as wear goes?

rustyballs_69
03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
You have to pull the rocker arms to check everything out. Don't mix the push rods up! The intake pushrods are shorter than the ehaust pushrods.

Look at the rocker arms for wear, especially where the pushrod and valve stems meet. Make sure that the rocker rolls freely. Make sure that the holes in the pushrods are clean of anything blocking them. To make sure that your pushrods aren't bent you can roll them on a surface that is flat. A piece of glass works great.
Also check the valve springs for cracks. Make sure all the retainers are on the top of the valve spings.

eBandit
03-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, thanks. If I find any wear, can I replace just that stuff (like new pushrods, rockers, maybe valve springs if needed) or do I have to get the heads rebuilt or a set of used heads etc...?

hass
03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
yeah, you can replace it as long as it's an OEM part.
I don't believe you can mix performance pushrods with OE and such.

but if you find a bent pushrod, yeah.. just grab a stock one and put it in there.
make sure it's the same length one though.

As stated before, intake/exhaust are different.
It says in the hayne's manual, I can't remember it offhand though.

btw;
heads are way further down.
I don't really think you need to get in to that unless you really think it's a problem.
Or have extra cash floating around.
re torque the rocker arms and such first.
then if it still ticks, then do the heads.
that's my opinion though.

eBandit
03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm about to start checking it out, I had talked with a mechanic down the street and he says these engines are known to have a "sour" lifter? I dug out a manual on the car and it says the most likely cause of a noisy lifter is dirt trapped inside the lifter and lack of oil flow, viscosity or pressure. Anyone experienced this sort of thing before? Does oil viscosity make any difference on this matter? 10w-30, 5w-30, heavy duty oil stabilizers such as Lucas etc....

I hate to have to tear it down that far, I hate doing internal engine work. Hand me a pile of steel, a welder and a set or torches or plasma cutter and I'll have fun; but ask me to tear the top half of an engine apart, replace something and put it back together and I'll get frustrated and irritated.

Falke401
03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
If you need any help fixing it, i might be able to help you, but it will have to be after the 20th. I live in dayton too, so if you have any questions, just send me a pm. I just fixed my LIM a couple months ago so i know all about the push rods and rocker arms.
I dont know anything about a "sour" lifter.
You might be able to re-torque most if not all the rocker arms with just pulling the valve covers and coil pack. Pulling the upper and lower intake is a pain in the ass and takes a lot more time.

eBandit
03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
If you need any help fixing it, i might be able to help you, but it will have to be after the 20th. I live in dayton too, so if you have any questions, just send me a pm. I just fixed my LIM a couple months ago so i know all about the push rods and rocker arms.
I dont know anything about a "sour" lifter.
You might be able to re-torque most if not all the rocker arms with just pulling the valve covers and coil pack. Pulling the upper and lower intake is a pain in the ass and takes a lot more time.

Ok, thanks. I'll try re-torqing the rockers and go from there I guess. I'll stay in touch though. If I have to tear it down further, I would throw some cash for help to get it done though.

Mike Jung
03-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Does oil viscosity make any difference on this matter? 10w-30, 5w-30, heavy duty oil stabilizers such as Lucas etc...
Use the proper viscosity range for the outside temperature ranges.

Do not use oil additives like Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer; unless you like to thicken up your motor oil's viscosity lol

See, the viscosity of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer at 100C is 110.0 cST :eek:: http://www.lucasoil.ca/hds1spec.doc
(Note: a 30 viscosity motor oil would be between 9.30-12.49 cST at 100C.)

eBandit
03-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread.

As an update on the car, I changed the oil and added some Risoline (I think thats what its called) that is supposed to free stuck lifters and all (told to try this). After running for several minutes it got quiter and then went away and now seems to be ok ("knock on wood").

As advised, I will still re-torque the rockers and see how the car does here on out. Hopefully it will be ok for awhile.

For now the LIM is doing ok, only a very very little wet on the outside, just like any car with a few miles gets allot of time. If I were to end up replacing the LIM at some point, would it be advised to go ahead and replace the lifter and pushrods or anything else while I got it opened up?

jene
04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Holy macaroni!! i am going thru all this right now with my 3400 in the Corsica.. Glad I found this. It answered all of my questions!!

dmalle02
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
i jsut read the thread now and was going to say it was a lifter.. i had this problem couple days ago and through soem sea foam in with the oil and it worked like a charm to..

dmalle02
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
i jsut read the thread now and was going to say it was a lifter.. i had this problem couple days ago and through soem sea foam in with the oil and it worked like a charm to..

cardude007617
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
seafoam FTW i swear to god that stuff works miracles on engines... lol

04GTCGY
05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
what is seafoam and what does it do to your car?

PhantomLover007
05-09-2008, 03:03 AM
^^^ Who is your daddy and what does he do.... lol

Search man... SEARCH....

Mike Jung
05-09-2008, 04:51 AM
what is seafoam and what does it do to your car?
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

jfo108
09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Anyone every try using marvel mystery oil to solve a Lifter issue???
Dealer says I have a Lifter sticking when the engine is cold causing a mis-fire.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

stewartfn18
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
lifters wont stick. there is no posible way for it to unless something is broken. if your lifter was stuck, your car wouldnt run.