Break bleeding / flushing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Break bleeding / flushing

Itchy
03-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know the size box end wrench needed to open and close the bleed valve? I don't have any angled box end wrenches, maybe I should just go buy a whole set.

2003SCT
11-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Wondering what size it is as well....?

Oh and though I know lots of people say to bleed the brakes with the car off, I had tried it and my pedal was hard as a rock. Has anyone here ever sucessfully bled GA brakes with the car off? Turning the car to accsy ON, its WAY easier to bleed them but didn't know if that was the proper way.

CHRIS

hahano404
11-17-2010, 03:46 PM
yes but i vac bleed....

Malaclypse
11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Wondering what size it is as well....?

Oh and though I know lots of people say to bleed the brakes with the car off, I had tried it and my pedal was hard as a rock. Has anyone here ever sucessfully bled GA brakes with the car off? Turning the car to accsy ON, its WAY easier to bleed them but didn't know if that was the proper way.

CHRIS

Having the key on, engine off won't really help.

Yes its a pain to bleed with the engine off.. but that's how I do it if I can't get to the pressure bleeding machine we have at work.

AaronGTR
11-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Pretty sure it's 10mm for the bleeder valves. And yes, having the key on but engine not running will not make any difference since there is no vacuum in the manifold for the brake booster.

I always bleed my brakes with the car off. If you have one of those bleeder systems that either pressurizes the master cylinder or sucks fluid through the bleeder screw, then you can do it by yourself. Otherwise you have to do the old method with someone pressing the brake pedal while you open and close the bleeder screws.