Cold air intake SUCKED MASSIVE WATER [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake SUCKED MASSIVE WATER

zukiracer19
03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
we had a big storm, i was returning my wiring kit going to circuit city... well my car started spitsin and sputtering... it was almost like if you slammed on breaks then gassed slammed gassed. etc. well my car stalled otu i was sitting on side of rode... if i started it it would shut off... well i managed to get it to my friends house... my FILTER WAS SOAKED... inside piping was so wet... i thought my motor was gone... we dried out the filter... and made it the short ram intake... took it for a spin.... it jerked once pulling out... doing a lap around block coming home my speedo was at 40... and dropped all the way to zero and i had the gas floored... we opened hood played with throttle cable until it ran agani.. got it home... went to autozone got a new filter. cleaned everything and went home... it ran like a dream we got service engine soon lgiht on and we plugged in to see waht code it gave us... P0113... we popped the hood... the IAS sensor the yellow wire fell out... but before this i was out driving it around with new filter... ran fine.. no rpm jumps anymore.. no hard shifting nothing... we put the wire back in and the light went away, took it for a spin... and the RPMS were jumping around again... idk if its the sensor or what... it ran fine until I fixed that problem.

gtdreams
03-09-2008, 04:28 PM
this is why i am nervous about cold air kits.sorry to hear about that though.hope everything turns out ok for ya.

Tonyyank
03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
i had this problem on a long drive with wet weather. It will happen. I wouldn't get too excited cause water is involed. I don't know exactly what it is but it nothing that bad IMO.

Tonyyank
03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
this is why i am nervous about cold air kits.sorry to hear about that though.hope everything turns out ok for ya.

You just can't be driving through huge puddes. Not even a bad idea to run a WAI in the winter or short CAI to be safe. I think it was more than the CAI. Water and Ga's do not mix very well

silvergtjrad
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
You just can be driving through huge puddes. Not even a bad idea to run a WAI in the winter or short CAI to be safe. I think it was more than the CAI. Water and Ga's do not mix very well

That is exactly what I do for the winter. No worries about snow and slush being flung onto the filter, and it improves fuel economy as well.

Tonyyank
03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
That is exactly what I do for the winter. No worries about snow and slush being flung onto the filter, and it improves fuel economy as well.

a WAI is what I used too do too. At least in cold weather states, its the best thing. Plus it only takes about 5 mins if that to do.

zukiracer19
03-09-2008, 04:54 PM
anyone know why rpms are jumping around drastically?

Tonyyank
03-09-2008, 04:57 PM
well, i had a 89 beretta that did that, and my coil pack were getting wet. I doubt that that applies to your ga.

But don't get to worried, I've had MANY things go crazy with wet weather and then just go away. Just don't assume that you have something terribly wrong with your car

Electronics and water sometimes have no explainations :)

zukiracer19
03-09-2008, 05:08 PM
well it does it when it is dry too

badboy2451
03-09-2008, 05:32 PM
try cleaning ur MAF sensors with some dieletrical grease...there is a thread around here somewhere that tells you how to do it but i just dont feel like searching right now

hass
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
/second thoughts about CAI.

zukiracer19
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
i cleaned my maf so many times... it's not my maf.. my friends dad was a GA fanatic he told me to check my coil thing or w.e

SSRacer
03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
One reason I love my WAI :D

Hope everything is ok.

zukiracer19
03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
or my fuel filter

blackgt2k
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
surprised no one mentioned to use any fuel injector cleaner yet.

zukiracer19
03-09-2008, 07:48 PM
i put fuel injecter cleaner in my car... it didnt help... and i heard its not good for it... its better off cleaning ur injectors urself...

WeibSunder
03-09-2008, 11:04 PM
My GA had the WAI, never had a problem with it.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20

^^^^^^ Keeps your CAI from sucking water.

thormxkid
03-09-2008, 11:11 PM
what kind of filter you running on it the cheap ones usaully have probs were as k&n is better

cardude007617
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
x2^^^^, k&n or S&B (what mp racing sells with his intakes) are good. iv been trouble free all winter....

02 PONTIAC
03-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Ya sorry to hear about your problem. This was the main reason I didn't get the CAI for my car. My Pop's car had the same problem that you are having with the rpms jumping. Except the rpms would jump around then the car would die and he couldn't get the car started. It turned out his was the fuel pump (my pop's car was stock).

zukiracer19
03-10-2008, 06:23 AM
i was running a small K&N... It was really tiny because it was a hard fit.. now that i have my intake up top i have a 3 inch fatty

stewartfn18
03-10-2008, 07:26 AM
x2^^^^, k&n or S&B (what mp racing sells with his intakes) are good. iv been trouble free all winter....

x3 on this. I haven't had a problem this whole winter with my k&n. as a matter of fact not last winter either with my other k&n.

cardude007617
03-10-2008, 08:44 AM
it kinda seems like the only people to have problems with the fenderwell cai's are the ones with cheap knock off air filters..... unless you go canoeing or boating with the car.......

zukiracer19
03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
well we had a torrential downpoor and it was flooded everywhere so i guess it was because of so much water and puddles...

blackgt2k
03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
well if your interesting in running your CAI again, i have the AEM water bypass valve that you can attach to your intake that will help prevent water from getting up in the intake...i was looking for $65 out of it if your interested.

zukiracer19
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
they are 55$ brande new...

AaronGTR
03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Surprised no one has asked yet but... do you still have your fender liner in? You'd be surprised, but I've seen morons with grand ams using the universal ebay civic intakes that don't fit in the fender at the right angle and they have to remove the splash shield to make it fit, then they wonder why their filter got wet.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it though. You might have just gotten some water on the MAF sensor wires and that will cause it to run funny until they get dry. You'd have to totally submerge the CAI in a big puddle and suck up a lot of water to hydro-lock the engine though. If it does worry you, get one of those AEM bypass valves. Also, make sure the filter on the CAI isn't too low. Mine sits up high basically right after it enters the fender. I never have water problems. :thumbs:

cardude007617
03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
and your engine is suckin alot harder than most of ours....due to it being boosted

goozle63
03-10-2008, 05:56 PM
if you think its a stupid question so be it but im learning, i know what a CAI(cold air intake ) is, but what is a WAI??? thanks, not tryin to hijack

Ajaxus
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
if you think its a stupid question so be it but im learning, i know what a CAI(cold air intake ) is, but what is a WAI??? thanks, not tryin to hijack

well it's simple deduction.. if C= Cold then W=...WARM.

It's an intake with the filter inside the engine bay, exposed to the heat of the engine thus the air pulled in is warmer than that which a cold air intake pulls in.

zukiracer19
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
i have mine transformed into a WIA... ill be parting out my CIA with my new K&N soon... Word comes from parents im getting a Cobalt SS 2006 in about 2 months.

Ajaxus
03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
i have mine transformed into a WIA... ill be parting out my CIA with my new K&N soon... Word comes from parents im getting a Cobalt SS 2006 in about 2 months.

you have a central intelligence agency? can i have one of those?

PhantomLover007
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Can I Ask??

silvergtjrad
03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
you have a central intelligence agency? can i have one of those?

That drives me nuts when people type that crap too. Its a Cold Air Intake, not a cold intake air.

PhantomLover007
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Yep! Ayixelsid is a motherfocker... lol

Ajaxus
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
see i would've let it go had he only done it once..but having written both WIA and CIA..had to say something

blackgt2k
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
well if you need a water bypass valve, give me a price your willing to pay if you want one. its just sitting in my basement....

AznGA
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeap, my CAI sucked in water the other day too. Of course no one drives through the puddles intentionally. Sometimes you just have to go through it because there is no way around. My car ran rough for a couple of days with the SES light on but everything went back to normal. I am putting the stock Ram Air back on.

ancona46
03-14-2008, 03:19 PM
this is what happens when you use the cheap filter's ....i had the exact same thing happen to my car its the MAF sensor its wet let it drie and it will run like normal

buy a K&N and yo wont have those problems the oil on the filter bounces the water off

AznGA
03-14-2008, 03:24 PM
this is what happens when you use the cheap filter's ....i had the exact same thing happen to my car its the MAF sensor its wet let it drie and it will run like normal

buy a K&N and yo wont have those problems the oil on the filter bounces the water off

I DO have a K&N that is only about 5 months old. When there is so much water, the oil doesn't do much at all.

ancona46
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
somethings not right then you must not clean it enough.....i never had trouble with water with k&n and my splash guards werent on the car

stewartfn18
03-14-2008, 08:38 PM
I DO have a K&N that is only about 5 months old. When there is so much water, the oil doesn't do much at all.

So you dont drive though "that much water" again. its that simple.

AznGA
03-15-2008, 01:55 AM
So you dont drive though "that much water" again. its that simple.

What did I say before?
Sometimes it's not avoidable because there is no way around it.

lvemy3100
03-15-2008, 07:37 AM
not trying to start anything but I would say that considering the amount of people who run CAIs year round with ZERO issues that it is something that is avoidable... maybe in the rare cases of flooded out roads but even then there is usually a way around (detour)...

but i guess if you live in a neightborhood where teh only way in and out constantly gets flooded then maybe a CAI isnt for you... but seriously how many neighborhoods with only 1 way in and out are constantly flooded???

zukiracer19
03-15-2008, 07:44 AM
actually i have rivers all around my house and fields that like to flood across the roads... and it rained really hard for 2 days straight... and i mean HARD HARD... i didnt go through puddles there was just that much rain from the car in front of me on the road where it just sucked itu p

PhantomLover007
03-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Just because you wanted a secluded place to live didn't mean you had to put a moat around your house... lol

GrandAmC9
05-01-2008, 12:45 PM
ya i have a cai with a k&n and i sucked water and my engine stalled out, maybe 4 months ago... i was CRAWLING through a flooded intersection. i think it got water in where the front splash shield meets the one on the top... i'll look into the aem water bypass valve but i was originally thinking of making a small shield for the side that faces the splash shield and the top, good idea or no...

cmtapanes
05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
that happend to me one time... when I just to live in Miami we had an huricane and the water was half way my door and I needed to make it home... I forgot about the intake and I vacumm some water into the engine.

If you are worrie about water going into the engine just get a valve bypass like this on

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AEM20403S.htm

JonathanV
05-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Which is better, the doctorspeed Stage 3 Cold Air Intake, or the one for sale on MPracing.com?

Nick-G
05-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Get the MPracing Doctorspeed doesnt sell them anymore.

john_V63400
05-26-2008, 05:07 PM

The oil from the filter also disrupts your MAF readings thus having inacurate MAF readings. (Major car makers claim this, that is why a K&N CAI will void a Factory warranty)

Do I or you believe it...I dont, but it sounds good and is another reason to not warrant your warranty.

I have a off brand Filter from auto Zone (sold my K&N with my S/C)
It works great, I kept all my stock plastic housing to protect my Filter, and its located far up in the fender wel.

Re-locate your CAI ASAP. Just cut it and move the filter up higher. Problem solved.

lvemy3100
05-26-2008, 05:12 PM
The oil from the filter also disrupts your MAF readings thus having inacurate MAF readings. (Major car makers claim this, that is why a K&N CAI will void a Factory warranty)

Do I or you believe it...I dont, but it sounds good and is another reason to not warrant your warranty.

I have a off brand Filter from auto Zone (sold my K&N with my S/C)
It works great, I kept all my stock plastic housing to protect my Filter, and its located far up in the fender wel.

Re-locate your CAI ASAP. Just cut it and move the filter up higher. Problem solved.

K&N doesnt make a cai for these cars.. only the universal filters taht are used with some..

having a K&N filter on your car WILL NOT void your warranty no matter what anyone tells you...

as for relocating the filter up into the engine bay.. do so and now you have a WAI (warm air intake) NOT a CAI (cold air intake)... WAI = teh suck... might as well stay stock cause at least then you arent sucking in hot air

john_V63400
05-26-2008, 05:25 PM
K&N doesnt make a cai for these cars.. only the universal filters taht are used with some..

having a K&N filter on your car WILL NOT void your warranty no matter what anyone tells you...

as for relocating the filter up into the engine bay.. do so and now you have a WAI (warm air intake) NOT a CAI (cold air intake)... WAI = teh suck... might as well stay stock cause at least then you arent sucking in hot air

Having a CIA does void a Factory Warranty "Factory" not a extended purchased warranty, that is different, but GM's Factory Warranty is liable to being void if your car is equiped with a K&N intake.

It is true K&N doesnt make a custom CAI but if you use thier filter, it will void warranty.

I know this for a FACT! Ive spoken with more than one Factory Master technicians and Suprevisors to verify this.

I ask cause I do was very cautious not to void the factory warranty.

lvemy3100
05-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Having a CIA does void a Factory Warranty "Factory" not a extended purchased warranty, that is different, but GM's Factory Warranty is liable to being void if your car is equiped with a K&N intake.

It is true K&N doesnt make a custom CAI but if you use thier filter, it will void warranty.

I know this for a FACT! Ive spoken with more than one Factory Master technicians and Suprevisors to verify this.

I ask cause I do was very cautious not to void the factory warranty.

obviously you didnt talk to someone who knew what they were talking about.... and truely I could care less who it was cause they are wrong and now in turn you are wrong and now you are spreading BS around as fact

read the following and maybe you might understand why they CANT void your warranty regardless of it being a factory or dealer warranty because of a CAI

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

bigstribs
05-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Damn it Mark you got it in right before me

This I was going to put...look up Magnuson-Moss warrenty act

mfuller
05-26-2008, 06:10 PM
If ya'll are really concerned, try shielding your CAI filter with one of these.

http://www.ptuning.com/graphics/injen/hs5000p.jpg

Can't hurt.

john_V63400
05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
obviously you didnt talk to someone who knew what they were talking about.... and truely I could care less who it was cause they are wrong and now in turn you are wrong and now you are spreading BS around as fact

read the following and maybe you might understand why they CANT void your warranty regardless of it being a factory or dealer warranty because of a CAI

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

That is really nice information to have thank you.

But as I said initially oil from the K&N Filter will cause in-acurate readings for the MAF(supposably) This is cause to void warranty if a malfunction or damage occurs, and then warranty can or may be void due to MAF failure from oil on the MAF from the K&N filter!!!

But its all relative. Do you want to go to court against a major car maker? I dont.

So depending on what malfunctions, yes your right warranty wont void, Ive already knew that. But a CAI....

CAN AND WILL VOID WARRANTY GIVEN THE CORRIECT CIRCUMSTANCES SUCH AS OIL ON THE MAF CAUSING PROBLEMS.

Quote" Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part

"unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle"

There it is in the proof you provided, thank you

bigstribs
05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
And that has been proven a myth by K&N R&D department

Google K&N myths and you will find the research that has already beed done! I would copy and paste but I cant from my phone :(

john_V63400
05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Thats awsome! Yeah its true here it is.
http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=422

Cheers! I never believed it either but its nice having proof.

So next time I can take my car into the dealer with confidence!!
Thanks

bigstribs
05-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Glad we could help!

john_V63400
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Im gonna stay safe and only use K&N oil though since it looks as though thats the ony filter oit thats been tested!