Car lost horsepower while driving - whats the problem? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car lost horsepower while driving - whats the problem?

maxxoholic420
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I was driving out of a parking lot one day and as i was accelerating to around 50-55, I noticed something was wrong. I had the music blasting so the only reason i noticed was that I found the car to be accelerating rather slowly like it was stuggling. I turn down the music and heard some noise coming from under the hood. I stopped the car and listen to the engine revving in neural. It made a clanking sound whenever i revved and was not as apparent when it was idle but i could still hear it. I am no mechanic but suspected something like a connecting rod broke b/c of how the car lost power and the clanking noise but then i thought about it and realized that the engine still started w/ no problem and had no trouble running. Didn't sound like it wanted to stall or anything. One person who knew a little about cars said he thinks it sounds like a busted bearing. The tow truck driver made me drive the car onto the flatbed, which i think was a stupid thing to tell me b/c the car had a problem with power and this just put it under more strain. After i got it home i drove it into the parking spot and now in addition to the clanking sound i hear a loud screeching/squeeling sound. Any ideas guys?! Thanks!!

angrysk8r
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Same sort of thing happened to a friends GP, ended up being a spun rod bearing. I wouldn't completely say you're screwed as of yet, see if you can nail down where the noise is coming from.

williamGT
03-10-2008, 10:46 PM
2.4L or 3.4L?

maxxoholic420
03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I have a friend that knows a mechanic and he's gonna try to get him over to check it out. If that doesn't happen, Ill try and listen to it over the weekend (im in college during the week). Err...i hope its not that....don't you have to like rebuild the bottom of the engine for that?

maxxoholic420
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
2.4L or 3.4L?

2.4L sorry

DomesticFreak
03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Err...i hope its not that....don't you have to like rebuild the bottom of the engine for that?

Not always. If the crank and rod are in spec still, and not Out of round, or tapered, then you'll be in pretty good shape. Basically means the crank gets re-finished, new bearings,(possibly new rod), or just machine the rod if you can, and get oversize bearings for it.

Although this could be a great time rip that engine out, and build it right. Bore it, stroke it, vale job, 2.3l cam... build it for boost, build it for N/A.

You can get a hell of a lot out of those 2.4's. Which is why I love them so much.

ridefas78
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Not always. If the crank and rod are in spec still, and not Out of round, or tapered, then you'll be in pretty good shape. Basically means the crank gets re-finished, new bearings,(possibly new rod), or just machine the rod if you can, and get oversize bearings for it.

Although this could be a great time rip that engine out, and build it right. Bore it, stroke it, vale job, 2.3l cam... build it for boost, build it for N/A.

You can get a hell of a lot out of those 2.4's. Which is why I love them so much.

even drop the 3.4 or 3.8in her:)

maxxoholic420
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
i was thinking the same thing about dropping the 3.4 from the GT if it was the engine that went... unfortunately i am pretty broke right now and there's no way i could afford anything fancy like that...im just hoping repairs aren't gonna be more than $500...but it looks like there's a good chance they will be...i don't know enough nor have the space or time to do any work by myself so..yeah...

maxxoholic420
03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
****...found out that the timing chain is off and that's why theres like no horsepower to it....have to take the motor out to find out more and that itself is gonna cost a lot....im officially screwed

ridefas78
03-12-2008, 07:37 AM
yea that could b a problem lol...well hopfully you get it all figured out and fixed!!!

maxxoholic420
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
so...step-by-step on how to take the engine out and replace the timing chain myself? :clueless: lol...if i had the place to do it i would take the chance because i don't really have much to lose...

Bk4293
03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
So the car was still drivable and started?
I'm asking because I have a 01 Grand Am 2.4 and she left me stranded the other day. Had it towed, but she seems to start up fine. I'd just hate to take a trip somewhere and be stranded again. But as a daily drive she guzzles less gas than the Grand Prix....

maxxoholic420
03-12-2008, 04:11 PM
It starts up, idles fine....and it'll still drive...but i doubt it's a good idea to drive it...if the timing is off..i believe the piston could actually hit the valves, damaging the valves and/or heads....i don't wanna drive it and have to get towed again...or even worst...damage the engine further...as for gas mileage...i get the gas mileage of an SUV driving around town...i guess i have a bit of a lead foot....which is most likely why the timing chain went.. they just don't build them like they used to...on long trip on the highway though..yeah..the gas mileage is great :driving: