Just did a brake job, minor issues now [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Just did a brake job, minor issues now

lone_wolf025
03-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Just did a brake job on the fronts. New ceramic pads, new oem rotors, etc. I've got a firm pedal, albeit slightly softer than before. Old pads didn't need replacing but the rotors were a tad warped. Both sides showed about 25% additional wear on the inner pads (piston side).

Now it seems that the car pulls to the left on hard braking. I've even noticed on especially hard braking, the front end gets squirrelly. I'm thinking perhaps a stuck pad somewhere and intend to inspect everything again. I made sure everything was tight and secure as well. Anyone think that the caliper piston could be at fault? The rotors on both sides are already beginning to glaze over the crosshatching on the outside so the brakes are working.

Advice would be appreciated.

LukeL
03-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Did you check the slides when you changed the pads?

SSRacer
03-11-2008, 07:47 AM
The inner pad being more worn than the outer pad is pretty common I believe. Because the inner pad is actually getting forced against the rotor by the piston. I have noticed a wear difference every time I have done a brake job.

lone_wolf025
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
That would explain the consistency I saw from both sides. However it doesn't explain the pulling.

ridefas78
03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Did you check the slides when you changed the pads?

yea check that and even mayb fluid?

SSRacer
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
May want to try bleeding the brakes. Get some fresh fluid into the calipers.

nickofcourse
03-11-2008, 10:39 AM
you should of greased the sliding pins

supersilvergt00
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, you may want to go back and check the caliper slides and make sure they are greased with some brake grease, maybe even bleed the brakes too. I just did my brakes yesterday and ended up replacing both rotors, pads, both caliper brackets, and caliper slides too. You might even need an alignment too.

timberwoof
03-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah greasing the slides would help alot.

lone_wolf025
03-11-2008, 11:07 AM
The pins have been greased. I'm gonna check the tire pressure and find a flat road and see if I can make it pull. I'll probably pay for a fluid flush while I'm at it.