Changing Serpentine Belt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing Serpentine Belt

Quaf069
03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey guys,

Got a Grand Am GT 2000. I had my serpentine belt replaced around 50k. I now have about 104k on the car. I looked over the belt and do not see much cracking

Question, is it routine maintance to change these at a certain mileage? Or should I wait to see cracking?

Thanks.

Quaf

KhellendrosxS
03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Honestly, if its not squealing or slipping then theres no need to replace it but at that mileage its probably not going to hurt to change it.

SSRacer
03-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I need to change mine. 84K on it. Mine doesn't show any cracking (at least on the outer part, maybe a little on the ribs) but when I popped my hood to change the oil there was a black line of rubber on the bottom of the hood from where it is deteriorating. Need to do that soon :D

I hate that there is a dang engine mount in the middle of it too.

Don't know what the actual suggested interval is, guess I could check the owners manual.

juanvan
03-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Usually around 70K-50K - Or when you see wear on the belt, cracks on the inside running treads.
Ya that engine mount is a pain..

ridefas78
03-14-2008, 03:23 PM
yea how do u go about changing these? the belt squeals bad

SSRacer
03-14-2008, 06:45 PM
You have to support the bottom of the engine (oil pan) and remove the bolts from the mount so you can get the belt through.

AaronGTR
03-15-2008, 07:43 AM
It isn't too hard. Use a jack and a piece of wood and jack it up under the oil pan just enough to support the weight of the engine so you can take the bolts out of the top engine mount. Use a breaker bar or ratchet with a 3/8" square end to loosen the belt tensioner and slip the belt off. Then just reverse the process. :)