Transmission problem with friend's 1996 Jimmy [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problem with friend's 1996 Jimmy

FastlaneV6GT
03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
So my friend's GMC Jimmy (4.3L Vortec V6 4WD auto transmission) is having transmission issues. It seems pretty sluggish off the line, and when it gets to it's shift point (at any amount of throttle you give it), it takes a few seconds until it decides to shift.

If you're driving up a hill and you give it gas, it automatically downshifts and stays downshifted until you let off the gas...then it upshifts again. Basically you can't drive over 40-45mph uphill. He also mentioned when he got his transmission fluid and filter changed last summer, the mechanic said the fluid was really burnt. When he got an oil change last month they checked the fluid and they said it's pretty dark. I guess this means the tranny is running way too hot.

It also had an EGR code every now and then, so we replaced the EGR tonight and it didnt fix the transmission problem.

Any ideas what this could be?

juanvan
03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
the mechanic said the fluid was really burnt

I think you answered your own question... If the fluid comes out burnt, its time to tear it apart...

FastlaneV6GT
03-14-2008, 07:52 AM
I think you answered your own question... If the fluid comes out burnt, its time to tear it apart...

Wonderful. Any idea what specific part has failed?

juanvan
03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Not till you get into it... It could be 1 of 20 things..

FastlaneV6GT
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I was thinking perhaps it's the torque converter, because it takes a while to shift and decide to shift. Any thoughts?

FastlaneV6GT
03-14-2008, 09:16 AM
I did some more digging online and came up with two possible problems...the valve body or the torque converter.

Can anyone tell me what the symptoms would be of each if they went bad?

juanvan
03-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I have had a Converter go bad, but the car was still able to climb hills. It was more just steady driving highway it would down shift w/out changing the gas position.

I would think it to be valves b/c of the burnt, Usually Converter fluid will not get changed during a pan drop. There is no connection between Converter and Transmission for the fluid to pass.