3400 Head pics... Confused :| [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3400 Head pics... Confused :|

hass
03-17-2008, 01:53 AM
What on earth happened on the left side there?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Leety/CIMG1959.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Leety/CIMG1962.jpg

This is taken off the front section of the engine.
The left side would be Cyl 2, then 4, then 6 on the right.

Did a LIM repair, etc... Everything worked okay..
Then it seemed like it started leaking again.

About a week ago, The SES light was flashing, I was like aww crap crap crap crap!
Then I remembered I got gas a while ago, so I figured maybe the gas cap wasn't on...
So I checked out the engine first, made sure it wasn't misfiring [it didn't sound like it was]... shut the car off, tightened the gas cap, turned the car on.. let it run for a min, shut it off.. back on, shut it off.. back on...
The SES light stopped flashing, but it stayed solid.

So I took it home, but on the way home I saw autozone was still open... I was like AHHHH!!.. So I rushed in to the store, [I literally ran] since it was 6:59.. and they closed at 7:00
lol.
So a guy did the check, said it was a Misfire on #2.

I took it home.
and it sat every since.

So we finally took it apart earlier today...
and that's what we saw.
Didn't pull off the other heads yet. [1-3-5]

Or am I just whining, and that's normal?
I'm going to get them cleaned up and such at a local shop, going to drop them off tomorrow... But I'm just wondering about it.

williamGT
03-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Was it buring oil? looks like the valves are blown.

XtremeGaGt00
03-17-2008, 05:57 AM
my best guess would be either valve seals or oil control rings

Malaclypse
03-17-2008, 07:01 AM
How's the gasket look? Any signs of burn marks on the metal ring around the combustion chamber? Any corrosion?

Graxall
03-17-2008, 08:57 AM
This happened because your a grown man whom drinks capri sun(box in background of first picture) lol

But uhm ide have to say if it didnt sound like anything was wrong that it was a gasket or something...Usually(or so ive experienced) when stuff like a misfire or blown head go wrong, you hear it...Or can feel it in the power of the car..Was that the gasket on the floor in front of it all mangled? Was it like that or did you do that?

ridefas78
03-17-2008, 12:00 PM
haha capri suns are good but yea tht doesnt look good how were all the gaskets? and the valve seats prob were messed up..my guess neway

rustyballs_69
03-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Whats the top of piston #2 look like? I can't tell from your pics if thats burn oil or rust on the head. This is what my piston looked like after my head gasket blew. It was all rusty as hell. My guess is if its burnt oil its either the piston rings are shot or the valve seats are gone.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/rustyballs_69/cars/3400block.jpg

hass
03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
This happened because your a grown man whom drinks capri sun(box in background of first picture) lol
Lmao, jerk :p
My mom picked up the boxes from this one place.
I actually drink vitamin water and eat yogurt... sometimes with M&Ms, thank you very much =)

But uhm ide have to say if it didnt sound like anything was wrong that it was a gasket or something...Usually(or so ive experienced) when stuff like a misfire or blown head go wrong, you hear it...Or can feel it in the power of the car..Was that the gasket on the floor in front of it all mangled? Was it like that or did you do that?
That thing you see, is actually teh reflection of the heads in the oil.
The flash from the camera gave it a reflection.

The gasket looks fine.
I have pictures of that, but I just got home from helping someone for a few hours, so I'm freezing my butt off and tired.

anyway, it went to the shop. [both heads]

What they said *drumroll please*
Two leaking cylinders, and one more was starting to show signs of it.
He said the valves look okay, so there's no need for that.
Price to clean them up was $150.
Full gasket set was $135.
I pick it up tomorrow.

Should I get the valves done anyway you think?
Or since he said they're okay.. leave it alone?

Oh, and no it was not burning oil.
It was gaining oil actually. Lol.
Some days the oil would be half way on the dip stick...
I'd put half of a quart in, then it would be WAY full of oil.
The coolant looks like someone took a poop in it.
Even though I flushed it when I did the LIM.
Then flushed it a week after that.
So I guess I'll get it professionally flushed and switched to Green.

Anyone have any suggestions or such?
As far as the pistons go? I'll get pics of them later I guess.
They do look pretty crummy.

Whiteboy572ci
03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I would say rings, maybe valve seals. How many miles do you have on it? Looks like your running a little lean on 4&6, that caused my head gasket to go.

Malaclypse
03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
If the pistons are black that's normal carbon buildup. If one is especially clean you had a head gasket leak.

My philosophy on headwork is, if the head's already off the car, get it done. This includes full valve job + new valve stem seals. You're already there man. Save the trouble.

cardude007617
03-17-2008, 10:13 PM
so how much/what part of those pictures are "normal wear and tear"