Spark Plug and wire problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug and wire problem

llsht14
03-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Well i replace my stock plugs and wires with msd 8.5mm wires and ngk irridium plugs and now i get a misfire or sputter when i put it to the metal. Its not in the low rpms just above 4500. Any ideas. Anyone that could help me i would really apprectiate it.

thanks,
Nate

rustyballs_69
03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
When I put msd wires on my car it was a bitch to get them on the coils all the way. I just pushed till I heard them snap on. It could also be one of your spark plugs, I had a tiny crack in one before and it had a misfire but only around 4-5000 rpm.

Mike Jung
03-17-2008, 08:47 PM
You getting enough gasoline flow/pressure at the higher rpm's ?

llsht14
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
i think so. this problem just started the minute i pulled it out of the shop after installing the plugs and wires. So i would have to think its just a problem with those. And its soo annoying because when im accelerating hard is when its very noticeable. But if im just driving around its not there

Falke401
03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
i would check to make sure all the wires are tight on the coils and plugs. If not, i would put in the same plugs that came from the factory. Some cars are picky about what plugs run well.

Whiteboy572ci
03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Take them out and inspect the ceramic around the plug and double check your gap, on my taylor wires the metal part that snaps on the top of the plug comes off sometimes. Does it throw a check engine light to tell you what cylinder its on? Or is it a PO300?

williamGT
03-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Make sure the wires are on the right cylinders.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7461&d=1062685984

llsht14
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
I just got up this morning and tried it and it seems ok untill the engine warms up. Then once its at full operating temp is when it starts to missfire at WOT. And no there isnt any codes thrown

timka86
03-18-2008, 08:15 AM
As above post said, make sure you got the wires right, that was the issue i had, it's ok more or less at the lower rpm and good when it's cold, when it warms up, misfires even more. otherwise make sure the boots are on all the way.

I would have kept with the stock AC Delco platinums. I think they work great.

stewartfn18
03-18-2008, 10:51 AM
well if the wires were on wrong, i would misfire pretty bad throughout the rpm range and pretty bad at that. driving it like that would be VERY bad. My guess is check and make sure the boot is on the coil and plug tight. I have the same setup and when i hooked up the tech 2 to my car, i got hardly any misfires at all. and i mean very little.

williamGT
03-18-2008, 07:23 PM
well if the wires were on wrong, i would misfire pretty bad throughout the rpm range and pretty bad at that. driving it like that would be VERY bad. My guess is check and make sure the boot is on the coil and plug tight. I have the same setup and when i hooked up the tech 2 to my car, i got hardly any misfires at all. and i mean very little.
Not always misfire bad. I had my MSD 8.5 wires installed last friday, the mechanic said 3-5 were switched around, so when my car idle, engine will shake every 6 sec's