water pump pulley [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : water pump pulley

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-18-2008, 12:14 PM
sup fellas once again my grand am is giving me these lil problems.. ive got this loud squeaking noise coming from my pulley area but only comes when the car has sat for a while and goes away once it warms up. i believe its coming from my water pump pulley.. looking to find where i can buy one maybe a performance one and how much??? thanks in advance....

oh yeah i took it to the mechanic already but it wasnt making any noise at the time so he couldnt check it... yeah i know .. it sucks

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
anyone?

ridefas78
03-19-2008, 07:46 AM
yea im gettin that squeeky sound 2 but it stays squeaking idk wat the prob is neather...sorry for stealing ur thread but im looking for a answer 2 lol

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-19-2008, 10:40 AM
hey as long as we find out the noise

KhellendrosxS
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Its probably a worn out belt unless you actually know that a specific pulley is causing the squealing. When the belt is cold it can slip causing a squealing noise but as it warms up it starts gripping better (like tires) and the squeal goes away. Id replace your belt before you start throwing other parts on your car. Especially if the car has over 70000 miles.

bigstribs
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
x2

RooK
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
That would be your water pump squealing, not the pulley if it's the culprit. The pulley just bolts to the water pump, which has its own bearings and such.

ridefas78
03-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Its probably a worn out belt unless you actually know that a specific pulley is causing the squealing. When the belt is cold it can slip causing a squealing noise but as it warms up it starts gripping better (like tires) and the squeal goes away. Id replace your belt before you start throwing other parts on your car. Especially if the car has over 70000 miles.

well mine stays squealing:( not as loud on start up but wen it warms up its anoying!!!if i dont have the music on i can hear it a lil bit

KhellendrosxS
03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Ridefas my post was directed at the OP:

What you need to do is get a mechanics stethoscope so you can figure out which of the pulleys is making noise and not blindly guessing and wasting money in the process. Im not even going to try to guess what is wrong as it could be the power steering pump, alternator, worn-out tensioner, or water pump.

Honestly, Id still replace the belt because its the cheapest part of the whole system (to the tune of about $10) so why not at least try it. Besides you have a 99 and unless you know that the belt has been replaced recently Id want the peace of mind that it isnt going bad or going to break on me. But dont take my word for it, Id just feel bad if I started throwing parts on the car without at least trying a simple solution first.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
my squeaks pretty loud whn the car is cold/ has been sitting for a while but once it heats up for a while maybe around 7 -10 mins the squeaking goes away. My belt was changed exactly a year ago

KhellendrosxS
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Havok, get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to all your stuff while it is cold. The engine bay reflects noises around and can lead to replacing lots of unnecessary parts if you dont know where the noise is exactly coming from.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
thanks bro... gonna do that

mlog
01-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Havok,

DId you ever find and fix the squeak?

HaVoK~DOGZ~
01-24-2010, 02:05 AM
yeah it was my pulley it was bad

westerndragon
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
just out of curiosity howmuch did you pay for that pully cause you canget a new pump for like 30 bucks lol and are you sure you dont mean the pully cover that actually makes contact with the belt?

HaVoK~DOGZ~
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
no it was the pulley.. i got mine at autozone and i think it was around 50 dollars.

westerndragon
01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
no it was the pulley.. i got mine at autozone and i think it was around 50 dollars.

what whotook you for a ride id like to see what they sold you it was probably the whole pump its not very big.

but if the pully COVER was abraded or for some reason unable to make proper contact with the belt that should have only been like 10 bucks. did you do the work your self or did you trust a wrench who saw an easy mark lol 50$ for a pully lol its a 3400v6 not a 4.8 vortec v8.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
01-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Well i dont remember the price but it wasnt expensive it was just the pulley cause mine had came loose and caused the belt to eat itself so i just replaced the pulley and belt all at once. I did the work myself simple fix.

rocketfast123
01-25-2010, 03:27 AM
The noise can come from a bad belt or dirty pulley.