tired of the age old question? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tired of the age old question?

stewartfn18
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I have suggestion. In the 10 minutes that ive been on the site today, i have already come across 2 threads that are repeats. The age old forced induction questions(espescially revolving around using a GTP supercharger), and the MPG " why does my gas mileage Suck?", questions are getting pretty lame and annoying. I know we were all newbs at one point, but a first grader can use a search feature. I think that all threads dealing with topics that have alredy been covered numerous times should immidiatley be locked and somehow "destroyed" by a Mod. I think this would solve the problem of nonsense threads. I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.

timka86
03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I agree, I don't bother reading those anymore. I know some forums have a rule where a newb can't start a new thread without having at least an X # of posts in another thread, I suppose which would force the newbs to search, but I guess on the negative end of things, it may deter people from coming here.

the welcome email that people receive should have something along the lines of, the site has been around for years, you are not the first to have LIM gasket leak, poor MPG, please use the search feature. or something that they're going to have to read before they're given access to the site.

ltpats
03-19-2008, 11:14 AM
So that's why I can't start a new thread !!!!!!!! And here I thought it was because nobody liked me

stewartfn18
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I agree, I don't bother reading those anymore. I know some forums have a rule where a newb can't start a new thread without having at least an X # of posts in another thread, I suppose which would force the newbs to search, but I guess on the negative end of things, it may deter people from coming here.

the welcome email that people receive should have something along the lines of, the site has been around for years, you are not the first to have LIM gasket leak, poor MPG, please use the search feature. or something that they're going to have to read before they're given access to the site.

I also agree with this. Maybe like a test or something lol

kse73
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
I think that all threads dealing with topics that have alredy been covered numerous times should immidiatley be locked and somehow "destroyed" by a Mod. I think this would solve the problem of nonsense threads. I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.

They pretty much are.

Bryan
03-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd say mods do the best they can. They see the thread, tell them to search and lock it.

KhellendrosxS
03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
The only problem with the search and lock method is that when noobs do search all they find for the first two pages are locked threads telling them to search...which is what they are doing.

Most it seems dont take the time to go back far enough to look for the threads that actually get/got answers so they start new ones which leads to more being locked etc etc.

These pointless threads need to be erased entirely after sending an email, PM, temp warning to the OP informing them that their question has been answered and they need to search for it.

Tonyyank
03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
well there is a feature called merging threads....

IE: I made a St. Patty's day thread, didnt see one. AJ PW'in ass already made one. Merged them together. one thread, with all the posts.

But it takes some time for that. And we are not paid employee's :)

Graxall
03-19-2008, 12:31 PM
well there is a feature called merging threads....

IE: I made a St. Patty's day thread, didnt see one. AJ PW'in ass already made one. Merged them together. one thread, with all the posts.

But it takes some time for that. And we are not paid employee's :)

And if you were, you wouldnt be getting paid for moderating useless threads such as this one ;crap

Im pretty sure threads that are useless are locked pretty often...

SikMindz
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
How about you members that get so annoyed with us not doing our "job" start pitching in?

See a repeat thread- use the search and direct them to a previous thread. Report the post. PM a mod/admin.

Do something constructive- that's what those tools are for and it doesn't help any as khel mentioned to have everyone jump in and say "use the search" w/o any further information.

kthxbai.

Graxall
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
How about you members that get so annoyed with us not doing our "job" start pitching in?

See a repeat thread- use the search and direct them to a previous thread. Report the post. PM a mod/admin.

Do something constructive- that's what those tools are for and it doesn't help any as khel mentioned to have everyone jump in and say "use the search" w/o any further information.

kthxbai.

Isnt that why AJ is still aloud on the forums tho??

Tonyyank
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
See a repeat thread- use the search and direct them to a previous thread. Report the post. PM a mod/admin. .

Please dont PM me :) I hate PM's :)

Just report it, and you can just put, repost, but link the thread that answers the question so we can merge the thread, or just delete it.

SikMindz
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Tony has teh small penordillo

Tonyyank
03-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a small penor

fap it bro :thumbs:

Ajaxus
03-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Isnt that why AJ is still aloud on the forums tho??

Probably, I gave up flaming n00bs long ago. If I have the time or am in a good mood I help them out, we've all been there before. If I don't have the time, I'll tell them to search. And if they talk back to me, then I'll flame them...and follow up by doing the search for them to show them just how easy it is.

We only have so many mods and admins on this site, and they have lives to. They aren't going to be around all the time to run things and to watch for this. When they are, most do as the OP suggested by redirecting the n00bs, locking the threads, and/or deleting them.

If the regular members want the place nicer and fewer repeats, then we can do what was already suggested. Help them out and report the thread.

And if you still think it's hard to find the threads you want because of all the repeats, you're more than welcome to help yourself to the search feature.

Nick-G
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
The only problem with the search and lock method is that when noobs do search all they find for the first two pages are locked threads telling them to search...which is what they are doing.

EXACTLY! :applause: This is why I hate when everyone tells everyone else to search. All it does is make it harder for the people who do search to find anything.

The last time I mentioned this my post was deleted. :nono:

SikMindz
03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
EXACTLY! :applause: This is why I hate when everyone tells everyone else to search. All it does is make it harder for the people who do search to find anything.

The last time I mentioned this my post was deleted. :nono:

And like we' mentioned numerous times, start linking to relevant threads in repetitious posts so that we can prevent this from happening!

Ajaxus
03-19-2008, 04:12 PM
And like we' mentioned numerous times, start linking to relevant threads in repetitious posts so that we can prevent this from happening!

Bingo!

If the threads are locked, so what? If somebody linked the relevant post in the locked thread, then all they have to do is click it.

stewartfn18
03-20-2008, 01:04 AM

kthxbai.

Im not saying you guys arent doing your job. I personally think that ALL of the mods do a great job with this site especially with the way the website is set up and maintained. This site is alot easier to navigate than GAOC and i visit this site more than that for that reason and for the fact of the people that are involved with this site. It is 100 times better than the other site. I was merely suggesting that these thrrads somehow get "destroyed" and erased. Thats all. Not trying to pick fights and tell people to do their jobs. You MODS do all you can. This is not your full time job. This is just a "hobby" for spare time.

Jake
03-20-2008, 01:24 AM

kthxbai.

Pwnt noobs.

PhantomLover007
03-20-2008, 01:51 AM
I called for a centralized thread search banner (informing new memebers to start seaching here for what they need answers for type thing) between the GAGT logo area and and the links area. Shift the sponsors to the left and right of of that banner. IDK. Just my .02 worth.

But then again, I was inquisitive (whew!) and checked out everything in the links area. I do agree though, members should help out which I believe almost all do in getting newbs to do the right thing. The linking helps and the thread merging does to. I know I did that once w/ the Ledger threads. I thought I was going to get in trouble for it actually, but took a shot anyways.

Just an old man speaking his mind... lol

SikMindz
03-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Im not saying you guys arent doing your job. I personally think that ALL of the mods do a great job with this site especially with the way the website is set up and maintained. This site is alot easier to navigate than GAOC and i visit this site more than that for that reason and for the fact of the people that are involved with this site. It is 100 times better than the other site. I was merely suggesting that these thrrads somehow get "destroyed" and erased. Thats all. Not trying to pick fights and tell people to do their jobs. You MODS do all you can. This is not your full time job. This is just a "hobby" for spare time.

Sorry- didn't mean to come off so harsh. ;)

Just wanted to point out that every user on here has the ability to report posts as needed as obviously we're not going to catch everything. :angel

stewartfn18
03-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Sorry- didn't mean to come off so harsh. ;)

Just wanted to point out that every user on here has the ability to report posts as needed as obviously we're not going to catch everything. :angel

and i understand that. this website is not anyones full time job to maintain. While we're on the topic, can someone tell me how to report a thread repost.

Molson
03-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Yeah, they'll get locked, and sometimes deleted. We try to put a link in if we can, if not they have to search deeper, whoopie.

BTW, if you want to help out on the modding, Tony, our new admin, is in charge of recruitment. PLease PM him a resume and why you want to be a mod. He loves PM's, and will scruitinize every resume and report back to the admin staff.

Ajaxus
03-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Are you sure he's the best choice for the job? :D

jk

Molson
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, cause he loves getting a ton of PMs :D

SikMindz
03-20-2008, 12:44 PM
...and yes, PM = Pretty Men.

Tonyyank
03-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah, they'll get locked, and sometimes deleted. We try to put a link in if we can, if not they have to search deeper, whoopie.

BTW, if you want to help out on the modding, Tony, our new admin, is in charge of recruitment. PLease PM him a resume and why you want to be a mod. He loves PM's, and will scruitinize every resume and report back to the admin staff.

I've gotten like 12 PM's saying, can I be Mod ?????

PM Jeremy :)

Ajaxus
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
lol

PhantomLover007
03-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Passing the buck on the intrawebz... WOW!!!

SikMindz
03-20-2008, 02:26 PM

I hope you get many, many more. ;attention

Tonyyank
03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
I hope you get many, many more. ;attention

you will FAIL

PhantomLover007
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Send all the requests in at one time and make the system crash...

Naw. NVM. Then I woudn't have anything else to do on most nights other than SkillSoft classes...

Tonyyank
03-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Looks like i fixed it sik......

Red = FTW

Green = FTL

Mike Jung
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
When I read that earlier, I was thinking:
:wtf He hates PM's lol

Molson going to get a - rep from him, for that.

LMAO lol