Battery insulation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery insulation

FastlaneV6GT
03-22-2008, 10:54 PM
So I just replaced my battery a week ago. Should I put the foam cover on the new battery that was on th eold one? Is the foam necessary? I read on a thread here that it's made to protect the battery from the engine's heat, but how realistic is it?

tenspeed
03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I heard the same about engine heat. If GM could save a dime per car, they would have left it off. I would put it on the new battery.

cardude007617
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
i dont know, i work at a dealership and i see more without the insulation than with em...... even with all makes and models.

my GA didnt come with one for the record, and as long as your buying decent batteries, heat shouldnt affect em too terribly much

ridefas78
03-23-2008, 06:07 AM
i dont know, i work at a dealership and i see more without the insulation than with em...... even with all makes and models.

my GA didnt come with one for the record, and as long as your buying decent batteries, heat shouldnt affect em too terribly much

yea what he said if u buy a cheep 30$ battery then yea but you should have any problems with heat

tenspeed
03-23-2008, 06:29 AM

My 2002 did come with one. Maybe Pontiac added it to later models because the batteries crapped out in the earlier models.

What is on different makes and models doesn't mean anything. We're talking about heat, battery life and the 99+ Grand Am. If you have the insulator, why not put it on.

Malaclypse
03-23-2008, 07:03 AM

I think what he meant is that 99 times out of 100 the foam sleeve is never put on the new battery when a replacement is installed. This happens either because the foam sleeve doesn't fit or there's acid residue all over it. I think reinstalling a foam sleeve covered with acid would do more to shorten battery life than engine bay heat.

cardude007617
03-23-2008, 02:01 PM
ok which is why if you get a half ways decent battery, it shouldnt be a problem.