coolant leak after heads resurfaced. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak after heads resurfaced.

hass
03-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I just had the heads resurfaced, since they were leaking...
All new gaskets, head bolts.. everything.

Now there's coolant coming from some where, and I can't figure out for the life of me where.
It is leaking out, not in to the oil or anything.

It somehow leaks on to the serpintine belt, then hits that pulley [the water pump one] and the pulley shoots the coolant all over the engine bay, and way the hell outside of it if the hood is open.

New water pump was installed when the heads were done, [the new GM design, the old one was in the car]...
I pulled that water pump pulley off, and the water pump looked clean... So I don't think it's that, but I'm not really sure now.

It's definitely not coming from the radiator, checked that.

It shoots off the serpentine belt when the car is warming up from say... 100-190... Then after it gets fully warm, it turns in to a drip, that drips on the floor.
But it doesn't leak when the car is below 100 degrees.

any ideas on what could be leaking?
There's also a hissing noise... sounds almost like air escaping. But that noise goes away when the car warms up.

There's nothing around the serpentine belt that has coolant going through it other than the water pump, so I'm at a loss now.

Any help would be appreciated.

juanvan
03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
has to be the water pump... None of the gaskets will expand when hot enough to stop a hissing noise and then produce coolant.

I think you have a bad seal in the water pump, or/and a bad gasket holding it on.

intmd8r
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Hmmmm. I am also experiencing a similar hissing sound, but without the coolant/water loss. I was thinking that the sound was caused by a failing belt tensioner.