remove and replace cruise control switch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : remove and replace cruise control switch

silverbullet51
03-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I did a search but didn't find what I needed.

The cruise on/off button is busted. If I want cruise control, I have to somehow hold the button down, cuz it won't stay pushed in. The other two buttons work fine. I did some research on this and consulted my Haynes manual but didn't get any help. Apparently I have to replace the whole cruise control pod. So my question is how do I do this and what is the part number by chance? I don't have the radio buttons on my steering wheel, just the pod on an 01 GT.

And before you ask, NO I will not duct tape it or super glue it. With my luck something horrible will go wrong and I'll crash and burn or something.

Malaclypse
03-25-2008, 10:14 PM
You have to remove the airbag. I forget exactly how its done on GAs as I don't futz with them too regularly anymore.

I remember it involving a pair of small flathead screwdrivers and alot of frustration.

Hotrod6
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Make sure you disconnect the battery,then pull the fuse cover off the drivers side and pull the airbag fuse,and disconnect the yellow airbag connecter located in the same fuse panel..Then use a 30 Torx bit to remove the 2 screws behind the airbag..I just took an old torx driver i had and bent it to get to the screws..I actually used my wifes compact makeup thing that has the mirror to see the screws cause i couldnt find them at first lol Please be very careful working around the airbag!!

stingray71
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I believe you have to remove the instrument panel cluster as well since the cruise control switch assemble plugs into this. I was looking at my GM manuals this week since the same thing happened to me. I haven't tried it yet as I'm still trying to determine whether it is worth the effort. The part was about $41.00 from www. rockauto.com
I think I might just try the suggestion about inserting a dime into the side of the switch when I turn it on.

silverbullet51
10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I believe you have to remove the instrument panel cluster as well since the cruise control switch assemble plugs into this. I was looking at my GM manuals this week since the same thing happened to me. I haven't tried it yet as I'm still trying to determine whether it is worth the effort. The part was about $41.00 from www. rockauto.com
I think I might just try the suggestion about inserting a dime into the side of the switch when I turn it on.

that's a good idea and doing it el cheapo. forget about duct tape; no tape will hold the switch down!

silverbullet51
10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
pics of the how to would be greatly appreciated. my pod has stopped working completely so I have to put a new one in.

silverbullet51
11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
never mind, I put in a new pod over the weekend. Man, those two torx bits gave me immense frustration and I was about to give up because I couldn't find them. But patience paid off and I now have a working hands free cruise control!:cool:

Why does GM have to make certain things difficult for the DIYer:rage:

GA2000GTSpeed
11-10-2008, 10:44 PM
not to hack the thread... but since u fixed up prob... ive got a quick question, my cruise control dosnet work at all. its worked before but ever since i left my sunroof open one night and it rained :banghead it stoped working. could the pod of just short curcited??? ive checked the fuses and there all good i just dont know what the problem would be.

silverbullet51
03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
not to hack the thread... but since u fixed up prob... ive got a quick question, my cruise control dosnet work at all. its worked before but ever since i left my sunroof open one night and it rained :banghead it stoped working. could the pod of just short curcited??? ive checked the fuses and there all good i just dont know what the problem would be.

That's certainly a possability, pop the buttons off and look for water damage. You could also take the pod off and dry it out with a hair dryer and let it sit overnight. Then install it back in and see if it works. Sorry I can't help you out more than that.