Will turn over 20 times before starting [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Will turn over 20 times before starting

Elderas
03-28-2008, 01:52 AM
Ok well heres one for you

i really had no idea how to call the thread but heres what happens. I go to start my car about 3 days ago and it wont turn over. Feels like it has no oil. which is odd because i do regular changes. granted i was about 1500kms past due.

So i grab some mobil 1 and throw about 2 liters in there. After it turns over about 15 times it finnaly starts. everything seemed fine while it was running. No violent shakes or any funny business. So i take the car to one of my buddys at the quick lube place and i convince him to change the oil for free. he does it, Im happy, the car runs fine untill tonight when the same thing happened.

I was going to meet a friend at the coffee shop. It starts no problem. On my way i stop at 7/11 to pick up some cigarettes. I turn the car off buy the cigs and get back in. I try to start the car and the same thing happens.

It would turn over once every 3-4 seconds. Then it would just start turning over preogressivly faster untill it finnaly started. I checked my oil level and it was fine. No signs that it was burning oil. so basically something like this.

( X ) indicates 1 turn over. ( - ) indicates time laps

X- - - - X - - - - X - - - X - - X - - X - - X - X - X- X-X-X-XXXXX START

The only thing is, could it really of burned 5L of oil in 3 days. I drove it for maybe tops 400 kms in those 3 days.

PhantomLover007
03-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Starter, solinoid or alternator. If the alternator is putting out enough charge, the starter won't be able to kick over the engine. Short trips won't charge it enough.

juanvan
03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
If the alternator is putting out enough charge, the starter won't be able to kick over the engine.

Umm I think he means, if the Alt is not charging the battery with enough juice the starter won't be able to turn the engine over.

I would venture to guess
A the Battery is going bad - Load Test
B- Alt is going bad - Test for 14/13V across the battery when running
C- Stuck brushes in the starter
D - There is back pressure in the cylinders causing the engine to semi-lock

I would note also that my friends Olds after sitting for 6months was unable to turn over after 5 turns. I figured it to be something with the cylinders since I was also unable to turn the engine with a pipe on the underdrive pulley. He said is was doing something similar to what yours is. So if your going to let the car sit, I would turn it over and start it one a week at the very least.

Good Luck

GA2000GTSpeed
03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
also check your spark plugs.
my car was taking a long time to start up untill i changed my spark plugs and got a new battery it the cheapest.

notsoaveragej0e
03-28-2008, 09:08 AM
No one understands kms on this board. You're focked.

Ajaxus
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
*waits for Mike Jung's arrival*

Elderas
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Well ive been driving it during the winter, I got the plugs replaced about 2 months ago. same with the batery. I had a misfire on cylinder 1 so i just replaced all of em including the ignition module.

only thing i can really think of would be the alternator. though i dont understand why it would do that after i drove the car for 10 minutes (prior to the stupid problem)

GA2000GTSpeed
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
well other then changing ur alternator u could try an alternator voltage booster from zzp.

Tonyyank
03-28-2008, 03:45 PM
B- Alt is going bad - Test for 14/13V across the battery when running

Thats my guess. Put a voltmeter on it when you get it running, if you alt is going bad, you won;t get 14v.

Elderas
03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
thanks boys ill give it a try and post results

PhantomLover007
03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Umm I think he means, if the Alt is not charging the battery with enough juice the starter won't be able to turn the engine over.

Good Luck

That's what I was trying to say.

juanvan
03-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Ya - but it would be strange that the if the battery did not have enough juice, why would it still turn over 20 times, but hesitate on the first 5 trys...
Kinda strange

GA2000GTSpeed
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Ya - but it would be strange that the if the battery did not have enough juice, why would it still turn over 20 times, but hesitate on the first 5 trys...
Kinda strange

yah that is strange... and i dont know why i didnt think of it earlier... is there any way it could be your starter?

Elderas
05-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Well im resurecting this thread because the problem is still there. about a week ago i took my car in to the mechanic because the cat was plugged and it was causing a misfire on cylinder 3 (I had em put in a new cat back exhaust too)

up untill that point it was still doing the problem but it wasnt bad

Today it started doing it worse than ever. id turn the ignition and nothing would happen for about 5 seconds. then it would slooowly turn over once. then once more, kept it cranking for about 20 seconds then i stopped and tried it again. It started cranking then i gave it a bit of gas and it started.

i then stopped the engine and fired it up again in rapid succession.

The guys that did the exhaust said it was reading a failing amp and battery. tho i checked it myself with everything i could think of on (HIDs, stereo full blast, AC) and it was getting ~13.80V. Plus if the alt was on its last days im pretty sure the battery would die, but because it still cranks even after the igniton is on for a long time I dont think thats the case.

Another thing. Once i get it started: Its ideling and i turn on the AC. the revs will drop down to about 250 then shoot to 550 before dropping again. Sounds like the car is about to stall but it doesnt.

When its running it purrs like a kitten, but it just doesnt wanna start.

Also another thing i did is I unpluged the TPS sensor while the car was ideling to see if the RPMs changed at all. they didnt.

The car has a new spark plugs and spark ignition module. fuel filter has never been changed it could be that, though the car would still crank if that were it.

cardude007617
05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
starter going out......?

Elderas
05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe i need to test it somehow. prolly going to just replace it

XtremeGaGt00
05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
id start looking around at ground connections

dmalle02
05-16-2008, 04:07 PM
if it is the starter sometimes if u take a hammer and tap on the starter as someone is starting it it will turn over alot quicker.. if it turns over quicker when someone is tapping it with ahammer then ur starter is almost toast.. definately worth a try atleast..

Vegeta
05-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Wires may have corrosion in them. Does it click and not turn over, or just crank slow? When its hot, you will have more resistance in your power and ground wires.

Elderas
05-17-2008, 12:06 AM
it will crank once really slow. Like it will take it a good 5 seconds to fully crank once. then after that it goes faster and faster. if i give it a bit of gas it will usually start after keeping it cranking for 10+ seconds.

A guy on the eco forum sudgested it could be the fuel pump. though fuel pump asside it should still crank. Im thinking corroded wires too. Ill swap out my battery and replace the battery wires. Shouldnt be toooo hard.

flan flan
05-17-2008, 02:17 AM
id say its prob your fuel pump/filter a month before mine went like 2 times a week it would not start for a min or to then i let it build up pressure turning the car to on a couple times to let the fuel pump build up some pressure id say try doing that... it cant hurt

Elderas
05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
For anyone that will recall this tread as a problem solver.

Its been fixed. It was the battery which doesnt make a lick of sense to me, but i replaced it and it is beyond fine

So always get the bitch tested