Driver side Signal problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Driver side Signal problems

CK GAGT
03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
haven't been here in a long time, but i am experiencing problems with my driver side headlights and tailights. First, All of the light bulbs work fine. Hazard lights work fine on both PS and only on DS tails, DS head is completely inactive. When i put the turn signal on the DS tails blink rapidly like a bulb is burnt out (with hazards its at a normal pace). NOw when signaling the driver side head light does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions?

Note: have tyc tails

thanks

Bryan
03-29-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm super tired and not sure if I understand, but the drivers side is the only problem ? Did you check both filaments on the bulb? Since the 3157 is a dual filament, one very well could be out but the other still good.

timka86
03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
so when you turn on the left (Driver side) turn signal you get no clicking/no blinking? does your DS instruments panel arrow light when you turn on your parking lamps?

If yes to the above Q's? the you have a bad ground. In the engine bay, between the strut tower and the battery to the frame of the car is mounted a little black box (about an inch by inch in size), with a 10mm bolt, unbolt it and clean it real good.

If no, then it's something else.

You might need the Random Clicking fix, check out the how to thread, or the relay went bad.

CK GAGT
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
so when you turn on the left (Driver side) turn signal you get no clicking/no blinking? does your DS instruments panel arrow light when you turn on your parking lamps?

If yes to the above Q's? the you have a bad ground. In the engine bay, between the strut tower and the battery to the frame of the car is mounted a little black box (about an inch by inch in size), with a 10mm bolt, unbolt it and clean it real good.

If no, then it's something else.

You might need the Random Clicking fix, check out the how to thread, or the relay went bad.

sorry, when i turn on the left turn signal i receive rapid clicking, rapid arrow light, rapid tail light, and nothing from the headlight. so i guess the ground is good.

im going to check out the random clicking thread.

also just went outside to check the 3157s they both look identical (but i am not an electrician, so i dont really know exactly what to look for), so i do not think one is burnt out. but when i get a chance i am going to replace them.

Any other suggestions?

ryanbgb22
03-29-2008, 10:37 PM
uh...If i understand correctly you one headlight turnsignal isnt working. You also say you have rapid flashing when that side is on; correct? I'd bet a decent amount that you have a burnt out bulb, or atleast one filament.

edit: i dont know what each filament is used for...but mayb one is used for the flashers, and a different used for the turnsignal? Sorry, i responded before reading your post completely. But try changing a bulb...it couldnt hurt.

stingray71
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree with the previous posts. Make sure that all your bulbs are good first.
If you still have the problem of fast-blinking (or non-blinking), then there is a good chance it would be the common problem of a bad hazard switch.

I actually had two problems on my car that made the fast-blinking problem hard to diagnose. I had a bad hazard switch which I replaced because sometimes blinkers would work, sometimes they would be fast, and sometimes not at all.
After replacing the switch, I had a consistent fast-blink in the right rear. I pulled off the back light and found that the previous owner had spliced in a different size bulb/socket.:scream:

CK GAGT
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
UPDATE:

Just replaced the 3157s and still am experiencing problem. the problem currently is my front L blinker is not working, but all bulbs are fine. Also, All rear lights are fine.
The situations are:

With Left BLinker on:
No activity in front
Rapid Rear blinking

With Emergency fours:
No activity in front
Normal Rear BLinking

timka86
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
right next to where the stock air filter box is under the good, there's a little 2" by 2" (maybe a little smaller. black box with wires going into it and from it going to the fuse box that's under the hood. it's screwed right into the frame of the car between the battery and the strut tower. That's the ground for the turn signals. Unscrews it from the frame, wire brush the grounding strap sticking out of the little box and the spot where it attaches to the car frame, and put it back, see if that helps. I had problems where that was corroded and signal would not work right.

Lab Rat
05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Either the bulb is bad or there is a +12 volt problem. When the bulb is not working it will flash fast. Only time it will. And you also state that bulb does not light up. If you replaced the suspect bulb then get out the volt/ohm meter and start looking for the break. May be corrosion or an actual broken wire. Good luck. Wiring can be a real b!@@#.

CK GAGT
05-25-2008, 11:40 PM
the bulb lights up just no blinking. there must be some wiring problem, do you think if i clean the socket, it could help.....if yes any tips to clean it?

jurgs2007
07-06-2008, 01:42 PM
my old lady has this same problem with her car. all the bulbs have been replaced, but her driver side directionals flash super fast. all the lights light up and flash, but just way too fast.

Haughee
07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I have the exact same problem, it went away for a while, then came back. The DS blink fast, but no bulbs are out.