Hey guys! 56k BEWARE! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys! 56k BEWARE!

[no]Logic
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey guys. I been lurking around for a week or two now and figured after I washed my 99 Grand Am GT today, I'd take a few pics of her and finally register!

Well before I show some pics, I'll give you some background info. I'm an 18 year old kid from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I bought my GA in late October of 07. Seeing as I'm still a student, I don't have a whole lot of spare cash to go into modding this beast out. I do want to do some things, but no major work... yet =]

Currently I have a list of my own that I'd like to either fix, do, or have a look at:
-Fix side fender (you'll see what I mean in the pics)
-Get a new front bumper (you'll see what I mean in the pics)
-Mudflaps? It's a maybe
-Try to hide my rear fog light cables (cause snow gets stuck and pulls on them)
-Install neons inside
-Install clear-cornered headlights

Any comments/suggestions? Let me know!

Here are some pics!

And what she looks like today, after a wash! (trying my best to keep her clean on the drive home!)

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/frontanddriversside.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/driversside-rear.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/passengerside.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/rearpassenger.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/rear.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/frontdriverside.png

And my only interior mod so far =[ :
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/aftermarketdeck.png

And now the damaged fender, bumper, and my foggy passenger side light :bawl:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/front.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/fendercloseup.png
The tape just didn't hold up in the winter!
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/noLog1c/brokenbumpercloseup.png

Any feedback is appreciated!

Edit: NOTE* darker spots on driveway are NOT leaks! Just melting snow!

notsoaveragej0e
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
you need new tail lights and reverse lights mang.

It's a start! What do you eventually want to do with the car?

Bryan
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Welcome to the siite.

williamGT
04-01-2008, 11:28 PM
wow, big pictures.LOL Welcome

[no]Logic
04-02-2008, 12:57 AM

What kind of aftermarket tails would you recommend? I been lookin' a bit and I can't find anything that looks half decent.

Reverse lights, like the fogs? I know they're quite dirty from all the sand and stuff from the winter. I'll probably just end up giving them a good clean?

Welcome to the siite.
Thanks!

wow, big pictures.LOL Welcome

Hey~ I warned you! Thanks :)

kse73
04-02-2008, 01:28 AM
There are NO good looking aftermarket tails out there. Stock>* as far as tails are concerned.

tonySE1
04-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Welcome to the site!

Before you do anything I Would fix that bumper and fender up.

PhantomLover007
04-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Logic;978389']What kind of aftermarket tails would you recommend? I been lookin' a bit and I can't find anything that looks half decent.

Most folks put LED's in their stockers and tint them. I say that they look the best out of them all. Others get the LED ones off of E-Bay and tint them, and still others get the TYC tails.

Yeah, the bumper is the biggest thing to worry about.

BTW, *welcome*

onesexyga
04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
First off, as stated, fix the fender and bumper. Next I'd go with tinted tails. Def the way to go with a black car, and pretty cheap too.

gaowners32
04-02-2008, 07:30 AM
You can get a front bumper off ebay super cheap.

welcome to GAGT.COM

Exodus
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Red 'X's FTL

Bryan
04-02-2008, 09:33 AM
I'd pass on putting neons that high on the to-do list.

vita
04-02-2008, 09:49 AM
hey, welcome to the forum. I too am pretty new here, but I can tell ya that neons are nice... but are time and money not always well spent right now. also, you want a better look for your tail lights? You chould try a product called "nightshade". its a spray on tint. Do it in light coats because as it drys it WILL darken up and with the right amount, youll have blacked out taillights.

[no]Logic
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
There are NO good looking aftermarket tails out there. Stock>* as far as tails are concerned.

Ah I figured. Guess I'll go with tinting them darker!

Welcome to the site!

Before you do anything I Would fix that bumper and fender up.

Yep for sure. I can get a bumper cheap off ebay for just under $100, but I'm scared that the installation and painting is going to cost the most. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should do this, or just buy the bumper, get it painted, and then installed at a smaller body shop?

Also, does anyone know if I need a whole new fender, or if a shop can just pull it back out?

Most folks put LED's in their stockers and tint them. I say that they look the best out of them all. Others get the LED ones off of E-Bay and tint them, and still others get the TYC tails.

Yeah, the bumper is the biggest thing to worry about.

BTW, *welcome*

Thanks! Sounds good, I'll take more of a look at those after I fix the bumper and fender.

You can get a front bumper off ebay super cheap.

welcome to GAGT.COM

Yeah, I think $80 is about the going price now?

I'd pass on putting neons that high on the to-do list.

I agree, it's just that I already have 5+ lights purchased. I'd rather them installed instead of sitting in this box beside me!

You chould try a product called "nightshade".

I was reading a DIY on this. Guess I'll take another look at it! Thanks :)

WeibSunder
04-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Off-roading in the GA FTL!!

Welcome to the site.

Graxall
04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Logic;978491']Ah I figured. Guess I'll go with tinting them darker!

Yep for sure. I can get a bumper cheap off ebay for just under $100, but I'm scared that the installation and painting is going to cost the most. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should do this, or just buy the bumper, get it painted, and then installed at a smaller body shop?

Also, does anyone know if I need a whole new fender, or if a shop can just pull it back out?

Thanks! Sounds good, I'll take more of a look at those after I fix the bumper and fender.

Yeah, I think $80 is about the going price now?

I agree, it's just that I already have 5+ lights purchased. I'd rather them installed instead of sitting in this box beside me!

I was reading a DIY on this. Guess I'll take another look at it! Thanks :)

Bumper, instalation is 6 screws and a few clips..Pain cost me 150 to paint locally, and i kinda knew the guy so try to see like 200(im speaking in american dollars not looney[sp])

Fender, it looks pretty beat up, you can get fenders on-line too..expect to pay about 75-100 to paint that.

Tails, tint like stated or the TYC tails are pretty nice..the CF ones might match grey but i like the black ones personally.

Welcome to the site. If you have any questions you MIGHT think are dumb, they most likely are and you will get raped for not searching, so use the search ;)

edit: for those items, search ebay for Pershing Auto Parts, its a online ebay store that sells mad GA crap for decent prices, you can order stuff painted and shipped too!

williamGT
04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Just saw your from Manitoba, More Canadians are coming on this site:)

PhantomLover007
04-03-2008, 11:59 PM

God! The Canadiannan's are multiplying. Everytime it snows, they reporduce and show up here... lol

[no]Logic
04-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Off-roading in the GA FTL!!

Welcome to the site.

Thanks! And it's funny cause when I bought my GAGT, the front bumper was damaged (not like it is now of course), and while delivering pizzas (on new years eve - lots of snow) I ended up getting my car stuck in a ditch! Hence why it looks like ASS. ;crap

Bumper, instalation is 6 screws and a few clips..Pain cost me 150 to paint locally, and i kinda knew the guy so try to see like 200(im speaking in american dollars not looney[sp])

Fender, it looks pretty beat up, you can get fenders on-line too..expect to pay about 75-100 to paint that.

Tails, tint like stated or the TYC tails are pretty nice..the CF ones might match grey but i like the black ones personally.

Welcome to the site. If you have any questions you MIGHT think are dumb, they most likely are and you will get raped for not searching, so use the search ;)

edit: for those items, search ebay for Pershing Auto Parts, its a online ebay store that sells mad GA crap for decent prices, you can order stuff painted and shipped too!

So, are you saying I could install the bumper myself? Or should I just get it professionally installed? I guess I should be using that search feature, hey? lol

I guess installing the fender would be a little more work (was reading a DIY on it, seems like it would take quite some time), and I highly doubt I have the level of expertise to do so ;)

And yeah, once those are fixed I plan on just doing some minor 'less-costly' things such as tinting my tails and painting my calipers.

One last thing; have you or anyone else purchased an item from an online site and got it painted (before it was shipped) ? How well does it match your cars paint job?

Woohoo! I saw another user from Winnipeg too!

God! The Canadiannan's are multiplying. Everytime it snows, they reporduce and show up here... lol

Haha!

Are you saying it's a bad thing?! :rage: lol

AaronGTR
04-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Can't believe no one has said this yet... this is in the wrong section. It should be in members rides. And you coulda re-sized the pics ya know. We've all seen a stock grand am before, no need for such huge pics. ;)

Anyway, welcome to forum and please post in the right section next time.

stillriza
04-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the site!

As for the "-Try to hide my rear fog light cables (cause snow gets stuck and pulls on them)" mine used to do that too.... if you get under your fog light in question, you can get your self a zip tie and secure the cables up higher.

Jake
04-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Those tails and reverse lights will buff right out.

I did it on a ladys car I detailed yesterday, 2000 grit wet sand the lights, then my dad has a little buffer and some compound sh!t I used on them and they look like brand new (Car was a 1999 Grand marquis).