Whistling Intake [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Whistling Intake

FastlaneV6GT
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok, so here's the situation:

When I installed my CAI, I would get an almost turbo-sounding whistle from the intake at a certain throttle range. Despite changing it to a WAI and switching filters, it never really went away. When I installed my P&P UIM and LIM, the whistling went away and hasnt come back...until now.

Now that I installed my 62mm TB, the whistling is back, only it's much louder and more annoying than ever. It's basically at the same throttle range as before.

Question is: what causes this sound? I don't think it's the intake itself. Perhaps it's turbulence from where the TB meets the plenum inlet (I havent ported the inlet yet...will be doing it next week). Any thoughts? And no, I dont want to just get used to it. I want to reduce or eliminate it alltogether.

timka86
04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I know what you mean, mine is not so annoying as it's just noticable when it wasn't before. I have the 65mm TB, I happen to believe that it's the idle air passage way that's causing the whistling, and there's really not much you can do about it. it's designed a little differently then it was on the stock TB.

FastlaneV6GT
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Now my stock TB has a little hole in the middle of the throttle plate. I'm guessing it's to help with idle air. The RSM 62mm TB I have doesnt have that hole, but I cant imagine it would make the whistle because of that. Plus, mine is a bored stock TB, whereas the one you have is a brand new machined unit.

Also keep in mind the whistling went away when I installed the P&P manifolds, then came back with the new TB.

SSRacer
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
My WAI has always done that. Thinking of getting one of those fake blow off valves and a fake FMIC lol

FastlaneV6GT
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
My WAI has always done that. Thinking of getting one of those fake blow off valves and a fake FMIC lol

Yeah...and I think it has to do with the geometry of the intake from the TB to the heads. I'd like to know specifically what's causing it.

stewartfn18
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
its almost normal i would think, with it being aftermarket. Mine did it with just the CAI, then i got my Tb and it got considerably louder.

notsoaveragej0e
04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe you got a factory freak that was accidentally supercharged and you just didn't know it...

FastlaneV6GT
04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Maybe you got a factory freak that was accidentally supercharged and you just didn't know it...

Man I HATE those secret hidden superchargers!!! ;-)

GA2000GTSpeed
04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
wow i hope u guys r not talking about the sucking noise when u hit the throttle and the engine is sucking in air through the filter... cause that is normally good.

FastlaneV6GT
04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
wow i hope u guys r not talking about the sucking noise when u hit the throttle and the engine is sucking in air through the filter... cause that is normally good.

Not at all. I'm talking about a loud whine/whistle at a certain throttle position range.

timka86
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
then it's just how the air passes over the throttle plate/idle air passages that does that, there's nothing that I can think of that you can do, I guess you could put the stock box back in, it's should become quieter.

kse73
04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Crank up the music and quit the whining :D Aaahhh I kid.

whoisryan
04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
back when i had stock air box... it even had that sound with just a drop in k&n

IanGT99
04-02-2008, 08:25 PM
It has a lot to do with the filter design, but mostly with the air intake system itself. Think of when you actually whistle with your mouth. When your mouth and lips are in the right position and you have the right amount of air flowing in or out, you make a whistling noise. Same thing with the air intake. I actually TRY to make mine make that sound cuz I love it. I think most all cars with enough air speed with make some sort of noise like that.

GA2000GTSpeed
04-03-2008, 08:29 AM
well if your not throwing any codes and your not knocking or anything this is perfectly fine. unless you just cant stand the noise then the only thing i could think of to do is...

Crank up the music and quit the whining :D Aaahhh I kid.

williamGT
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
mine does it, Its breathing....and sounds cool

WeibSunder
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I forgot the brand, but there is a company that makes WAI's and CAI's and their slogan is "The whistle tells you it's working" or something to that effect.

GMMike
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
My WAI does that sometimes. Only when you throttle it hard though.

gectek
04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
it has to do with the casting and material used in the stock TB...i see u have the RSM bored out stock TB, it still uses the stock body...they have had a tsb out about it being the casting has minute holes in it in the casting that will cause a high pitched whistling at certain ait flow speeds. basically the only way to change that is with a different TB(TCE), or a newer one from GM...seriously. but i also believe some of the sound also comes from the IAC passage...just my .02

stillriza
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
mine does it, Its breathing....and sounds cool

Same, it's breathing. It probly just got a booger stuck up it's nose.

Did you check your filter? Clean?

FastlaneV6GT
04-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Same, it's breathing. It probly just got a booger stuck up it's nose.

Did you check your filter? Clean?

This is not the "whooshing" sound of a CAI. This is a very loud whistle; sounds almost like a turbo or supercharger. Not a cool sound, because it also sounds like a squeaky serpentine belt. But it's not.

GA2000GTSpeed
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
well without hearing the noise idk what to tell you

alerored04
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I know what noise you are talking about, i think it is inevitable with an intake and even more so with a tce tb. Mine has mega whistle, but i don't mind it.

FastlaneV6GT
04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't say it's inevitable with an intake. If you read my first post, the whistle went away when I installed the P&P UIM and LIM.

Also, it is not in any way a cool sound. If you drive up a hill at a certain speed/throttle position, it's nothing but the whistle sound. I dont like having my car sound like it has a squeaky belt.

Today I switched my CAI into a WAI and it didn't change the sound at all. I also adjusted the angles of the couplers, so it really has nothing to do with the intake itself (except for the fact it may echo a little more sound than the stock airbox would).

drumking1721
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
i think it sounds cool

baker07
04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
when i installed my CAI i got that whistlin sound to but its when i let off the gas almost like a little baby BOV i knoa like it cuz its not loud at all

angrysk8r
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Back when I had a cai it made the whistle but I don't think it sounded much like a squeaky belt...didn't sound much like my turbo does now either though, I've always found that cai wistles are pretty easy to distinguish at least in my opinion.

...it also sounded kinda neat if you ask me, although it's no comparison to the sound of a turbo

FastlaneV6GT
04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok, so just to clarify (again)...the whistle sound my car has been making does not sound cool. I have had the cool sounding whistle before and this one is not it.

Also, I decided today to try gectek's solution. I removed the 62mm TB and rounded out the edges of the IAC passages; both before and after the throttle plate. I did it once and it made a huge improvement...it actually sounded cool, like a turbo. I took it apart again and rounded it out some more, and now it's pretty much gone.

So, if any of you want to remove the TB whistle sound (the whistle...not the whoosh intake sound), do that.

Black Knight
04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah thats an air leak. My cousin's Dakota has the same problem. His CAI has plastic couplers and one of the gaskets twisted and has a leak the size of a needle and it whistles like a turbo.

FastlaneV6GT
04-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah thats an air leak. My cousin's Dakota has the same problem. His CAI has plastic couplers and one of the gaskets twisted and has a leak the size of a needle and it whistles like a turbo.

Huh? It's not an air leak. Like I said in my post above, it was the shape and angles of the IAC passageways.