quick rebiuld question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : quick rebiuld question

stewartfn18
04-05-2008, 07:47 PM
ok i searched but didnt come up with anything. So today i got up underneath my car bucause i saw a puddle on the garage floor. i noticed that my engine is leaking oil like a siv so im just gonna have my buddy help me rebiuld the whole thing. My question is what else do i need to rebuild? Minus tools, so far i have listed:

head gaskets
head bolts
oil pan gaskets
water pump gasket?
exhaust mani gaskets
intake mani gasket set
oil
coolant

im also gonna clean everyting while its all apart too. how should i go about doing this? anyone that chimes in, thanks.

tenspeed
04-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Usually a oil leak doesn't mean that your engine needs a rebuild.
How about finding the leak and fixing that?

lone_wolf025
04-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Usually a oil leak doesn't mean that your engine needs a rebuild.
How about finding the leak and fixing that?

Yea...I gotta agree. Unless you're stripping the motor apart down to the block and doing a FULL rebuild/upgrade, its gonna run ya a pretty penny more than it would to find the leak and fix it.

stewartfn18
04-06-2008, 12:47 PM
well its not really a rebuild, its more along the line of regasketing the whole motor and cleaning everything. i have no idea where its coming from. i replaced the valve cover gaskets last time i did the LIM gaskets. so unless they rear one didnt seat right, it leads me to beleive its either the head gasket(maybe?) or the oil pan gasket in which case i would pull the motor anyway because its easier to do outside the car, and while its out, might as well right. Besides since everything is off im gonna have my buddy help me with the porting of the manifolds anyway. One more question: can you just port the runners in the head or is there more involved? sry, didnt want it to sound like im replacing all of the internals too.

timka86
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
front crank seal is a common area of an oil leak. that can be changed without taking apart anything.

so add crank seals (front and rear) to the list, or just check if it's the front and just do the front without actually rebuilding the entire thing.

stewartfn18
04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
oh good thing you reminded me. i think one source of an oil leak is the rear main seal.