Q: Electronic Rust Protection? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Q: Electronic Rust Protection?

stillriza
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Not sure if this goes under detailing section.

How many of you guys have the unit installed? The dealer at the time of purchase wanted $400 for this unit but I opted out. Recently I saw it on sale for $199 at cnd tire was wondering if it is worth the $200. Is this a gimmick?

I recently noticed some paint flaking off and spots of surface rust around the hole the lets water out by the bottom of the rear passenger right side door. Was gona clean it up and go over it with some of that anit-rust stuff that goes on like a primer.

From some google research I read that quite a few people who had the Electronic Rust Protection unit installed, they no longer had rust on thier brake roters either?

Any input??

edit: The unit is called CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672466&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443292139&bmUID=1207666305990&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true)

AaronGTR
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Never heard of it. Sounds like a scam to me. But anyway, your link only goes to the home page for canadian tire, not the product.

Teknikal
04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I saw this product available at CDN Tire too. I'm considering this product as well. From what I understand it creates an electrostatic charge throughout your entire vehicle. All parts of the wheel and brake assemblies are linked to ground throughout the frame. You would think it was a reasonable theory. As far as the device itself this technology has been used in industry for big commercial and marine type applications for over 40 years. So what took them so long? The users who've reviewed the product on CDN Tire they say it works but you would need to wait years to verify it. I really don't know but would absolutely love it if this was true!!!

ps. IMO

freeze12
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
The product does not work as it is a well known scam.

cardude007617
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
iv heard of these before....i doubt they work as well

tenspeed
04-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Electric rust protection does work. It's used on bridges.

The units put onto cars don't. They don't have the power or the multipaths for the electrons to flow. My mother had one on her 98 Ciera that I bought from her. It was rusted all to ****.....

AaronGTR
04-09-2008, 10:42 PM
How is electricity supposed to stop rust? It's a chemical reaction with water and oxygen in the air.

iceman
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
How is electricity supposed to stop rust? It's a chemical reaction with water and oxygen in the air.

;psycho ever heard of an electron before?

PhantomLover007
04-10-2008, 05:32 AM

Isn't that what's supposed to be going on later this year. Who you voting for??? lol

AaronGTR
04-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Yes. That doesn't answer my question though. What does that have to do with rust?

Besides, every electronic system in the car is grounded to the body and back to the battery, so technically there is already electricity going through the body and cars still rust... so how is hooking up some gadget that's supposed to run electricity through the car supposed to stop rust again?

iceman
04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Yes. That doesn't answer my question though. What does that have to do with rust?

Everything. Chemical reactions are all about electrons moving around between molecules.. thats why electric rust protection works on bridges etc.. if charged the reaction can be slowed down. doesn't work in a car because the circuit can't be completed to ground. Go read the wiki on rust or a chemistry book or something maybe it will help. a few web sites explain why it doesn't work on cars too

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Isn't that what's supposed to be going on later this year. Who you voting for??? lol

I lol'd

And I'm with you Aaron, I have no idea how this would work.. but I also admit that I am teh failure when it comes to chemistry.

PhantomLover007
04-11-2008, 12:29 AM
I lol'd

And I'm with you Aaron, I have no idea how this would work.. but I also admit that I am teh failure when it comes to chemistry.

Yeah. If you have a constant charge going through, then whoever touched the car would get shocked. The electronics would have to have there own protection from surges and so on.

tenspeed
04-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Yeah. If you have a constant charge going through, then whoever touched the car would get shocked. The electronics would have to have there own protection from surges and so on.

Electricity has to be around 80 volts are higher to shock anybody.

PhantomLover007
04-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Electricity has to be around 80 volts are higher to shock anybody.

So, the static shock that I get when I touch a car is more than 80v's?

iceman
04-11-2008, 02:41 AM
yeah actually, usually a few thousand. not lethal coz current is insanely small

PhantomLover007
04-11-2008, 02:47 AM
yeah actually, usually a few thousand. not lethal coz current is insanely small

I really didn't know that. WOW.

stillriza
04-11-2008, 06:30 AM
I thought so as well. The dealership I went to said it was installed on most of the newer vehicles from factory but I never heard of that. I was wondering if anyone else with a newer vehicle has this device installed. I would have expected maybe the higher end brands to have something like this installed. I also would have expeected this device to be sold in climate with snow and salt and maybe that's why some of you guys in the warmer climates may have never heard of this.

Iceman, you wouldnt happen to have a link to one of the articles that explains why it doesnt work?

AaronGTR
04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Everything. Chemical reactions are all about electrons moving around between molecules.. thats why electric rust protection works on bridges etc.. if charged the reaction can be slowed down. doesn't work in a car because the circuit can't be completed to ground. Go read the wiki on rust or a chemistry book or something maybe it will help. a few web sites explain why it doesn't work on cars too

Ok, that makes a little more sense, thanks. And yeah, since the car can't be grounded it seems pretty obvious that it wouldn't work then like it does for a bridge.

I lol'd

Me too. Never took chemistry in high school.