wheel bearing??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing???

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi, i have a 2001 Grand Am GT and lately when ever i am driving i hear a kind of grinding noise coming from the front drives side wheel. At higher speeds the sound gets much louder. I am lead to believe that it is the wheel bearing. However i just wanted some other opinions as i dont want to spend 170.00 on the part and have to turn around and it be something else. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what it is or if it is the wheel bearing, also if there is any test sorta deal i can perform to be certain that this is the problem. any help would be appreciated! thanks!!!

RC360
04-10-2008, 11:51 AM
i had the same problem with my GA sounded like it was coming from the driver side but when i took it to the shop it was the passenger side bearing that was shot.

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Ok so it is most likely the bearing as i assumed. do you know how to tell if the bearing is shot so i purchase the correct side. i dont really want to take it in to a shop id prefer to do it my self and save a bundle of money. i just need to make sure it is diagnosed correctly. thanks!

polo77
04-10-2008, 05:18 PM
does the sound go away if u turn left or right?

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
yes the sound does seem to go away when i turn right....

bryanska
04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Most likely your bearing.

To tell for sure, you can try 2 things.

1) Jack up the car at the front and rotate the wheels by hand. If one feels grittier, that's the bearing that is shot.

2) Pick up a non-contact infrared thermometer. After a drive, measure the temperature of each hub. If one is more than a few degrees hotter than the other, it's the friction of a bad bearing that is causing the heat.

Unfortunately, bearings aren't cheap and there is no way around replacing them. They literally hold the wheels on the car. Consequently they are well-engineered and thus expensive. Generics are OK for the most part and might save you a couple bucks. But don't scrimp too much.

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
ok thanks alot man. do you know where i would get one of those thermometers? and also i ahve not changed a bearing in my grand am yet. is it a fairly easy procedure?? Do you knwo where i could finds step by step intructions on doing so?

polo77
04-11-2008, 08:12 AM
well if it goes away when u turn, right its your right one.

polo77
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM
here your how to

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42959&page=2&highlight=wheel+bearing

GrandAmGTTT
04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
ya thats def. the wheel bearing. Does the grinding noise get louder when u turn left or right bc if so its most def. that, and you can get a new one from murrays or autozone for less than 100 bucks. They aren't that hard changed if u have the right tools.

GrandAmGTTT
04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
its def. your left wheel bearing, happened to me, go to murrays or some place like that u can get a new wheel bearing assembly for under 100 bucks. aren't that hard to install either if u have the right tools

dmalle02
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
ha ha here in canada they are like 150.00 still not to bad though.. but im kinda confused 2 differant things have kinda been said lol... so if i turn right/left and it gets louder its the direction i am turning or if i turn left/right and it goes away it is the opposite side that is shot?

polo77
04-11-2008, 11:40 PM
with me, when my right one went, i turned right the sound went away, when it was my left, i turned left, the sound went away

tonySE1
04-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Mine has a similar noise but it's like a rattling / squeaking noise. Only when going straight I'm pretty sure haven't really noticed it when turning and it's only once in a while. When I take the foot off the gas it keeps going but whenever I press on the brake it stops, when I let go off the brake it waits like a few seconds till the noise starts up again. Do that a few times or just keep driving and it eventually goes away.

bryanska
04-12-2008, 05:48 PM
A non-contact thermometer can be had from Craftsman for about $50. They are pricey but a nifty tool.

Maybe you can borrow one?

Harbor Freight has cheap ones for as low as $6. I bought one once, but it was broken out of the box...

Also try Craigslist. Maybe someone will loan you on for a day if you offer them $10.

GrandAmGTTT
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
ok when u turn and the grinding gets louder the direction u are turning is the side that is bad. I wouldn't waste money on thermometer, waste of money for this problem. so if ur turning right and the sound gets worse then its your right wheel bearing.

tenspeed
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
ok when u turn and the grinding gets louder the direction u are turning is the side that is bad. so if ur turning right and the sound gets worse then its your right wheel bearing.

That's wrong.

A bearing makes more noise when there is more weight on it. If you are turning right and the sound gets louder, it's the left front bearing that's bad.

GrandAmGTTT
04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
That's wrong.

A bearing makes more noise when there is more weight on it. If you are turning right and the sound gets louder, it's the left front bearing that's bad.

well i'm just saying from my experience with mine. When i turned right the noise got worse, and when i replaced the right bearing the noise was gone.

dmalle02
04-16-2008, 12:07 PM
ok now i am confused... with me i will be driveing straight and ill be able tohear it and it gets louder as i acceerate. but when ever i turn right even jsut salightly it will go away but when ever i turn left it doesnt really get much louder but it is still there.. which one is it u turn right and it goes away its my right or my left? or would i be better off going with the thermometer to check?

dmalle02
04-16-2008, 12:09 PM
the noise sounds like it is coming from my left side from inside the car but who knows lol..

stillriza
04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Derrek,

I just went through this a few months ago due to a pothole.
If indeed the bearing is shot,

Roll your windows down and go to a parking lot and drive around slow for a bit. You should be able to hear the grinding. When both of mine were shot, I could actually feel the grinding under my left foot.

As someone posted earlier, the more weight on the car, the louder the grinding. If you take a turn on the bad bearing, you will hear it.

Diagnose it.. easiest way was mentioned. Jack up the car. You can pick up 2x 2ton jackstands for about $30-$40 at canadiantire. With the car off the ground, put it in neutral and roll the wheels with your hand. You will def. hear the grinding and actually feel it.

No one mentioned this yet..but if your bearing is bad, you should be throwing codes, namely your ETS and ABS lights will be on all the time.

I had mine replaced by the dealer as they are covered under the extended warranty.

GL.

polo77
04-16-2008, 03:34 PM
if it goes away when u turn right its ur right.

dmalle02
04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Derrek,

I just went through this a few months ago due to a pothole.
If indeed the bearing is shot,

Roll your windows down and go to a parking lot and drive around slow for a bit. You should be able to hear the grinding. When both of mine were shot, I could actually feel the grinding under my left foot.

As someone posted earlier, the more weight on the car, the louder the grinding. If you take a turn on the bad bearing, you will hear it.

Diagnose it.. easiest way was mentioned. Jack up the car. You can pick up 2x 2ton jackstands for about $30-$40 at canadiantire. With the car off the ground, put it in neutral and roll the wheels with your hand. You will def. hear the grinding and actually feel it.

No one mentioned this yet..but if your bearing is bad, you should be throwing codes, namely your ETS and ABS lights will be on all the time.

I had mine replaced by the dealer as they are covered under the extended warranty.

GL.

i cant really hear it when travelling at low speeds andas far as abs and ets light none of them are coming up.. is it possible that it might not even be a bearing and it could be somthing else or no?

stillriza
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
i cant really hear it when travelling at low speeds andas far as abs and ets light none of them are coming up.. is it possible that it might not even be a bearing and it could be somthing else or no?

did you jack the car and turn the wheels?

You can't erally be sure unless you do. Otherwise, you may have to take it to a mechanic to inspect.

If it's just squeeking, it could possibley be a stuck brake caliper or something rubbing against your wheels, warped rotors..could be many things.

An inspection at like...Active Green & Ross should only run you about $39 for suspension.

dmalle02
04-16-2008, 05:14 PM
yeah i will have to jack it up and check it out... i dont really like taking my vehicles to mechanics unless its someone i know if u know what i mean.. for instince it was the winter and the lower power steering hose went in my car so i took it to a shop as i dont have a garage;crap and this shop was located in the downtown ghetto and they left my car parked along the side of the road with every door unlocked and they knew that i had a 2000.00 sterio system in the car. Plus i dont really trust other peoples all the time.

But yeah i am definately going to jack it up this weekend and get to the bottom of this. i will post the out come up here and let everyone know what it turns out to be.

Thanks alot for the help.

steve'o
04-20-2008, 08:30 AM
I also have 2001 grand am and i had the exact same problem and it was the wheel bearing. the best way to tell is to put it up on a hoist and run the car in drive to determine ifin fact it is the wheel bearing. The good thing is, the bearing is really easy to change it only took me 45 minutes to do it on a hoist. All youm have to do is remove the to dolts from the caliper and remove it being carefull not to loose the mounting clips in the caliper for the brake pads. Next remove the two bolts that hold the caliper mounting braket. To remove the wheel bearing you will have to remove the three bolts in the back of the bearing tha hold it to the knuckle and remove the large axle nut in the center of the bearing. Take a hammer and carefully hammer the the axle from the bearing the bearing may come out of the knuckle a little difficult because of rust but it will come out. Be sure to unplug the wheel speed sensor and remove it from the metal mounting clip. Then just reverse all the steps to reassemble. Believe me it sounds alot harder than it really is.

cardude007617
04-24-2008, 08:10 PM
so if the bearign is bad, i WILL see codes/lights?

dmalle02
04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
not neccessarily i have no codes or lights... well i have a service engine soon light but thats for another issue.. no codes are pulling for the bearing anyhow and that is what is wrong with mine..

cardude007617
04-24-2008, 09:19 PM
hmm i hope its my brakes then.......
i put my hand against the corner that is making the noise and the wheel was warmer than the others..... brakes or bearing? bearing wouldnt make the outside of the wheel warmer would it?
for the record is my driver's side rear

dmalle02
04-25-2008, 01:09 AM
it definately could be the bearing.. what kind of noise are u hearing from the wheel?

Ajaxus
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm going to jump into the fray on this one, been following these posts for awhile to see if it's anything like what started happening with my car a few weeks ago. Seems fairly similar, quick question though. Can anybody feel a vibration up through the brake pedal when applying it (mostly at low speeds)?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at the same problem or a different one.

stillriza
04-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm going to jump into the fray on this one, been following these posts for awhile to see if it's anything like what started happening with my car a few weeks ago. Seems fairly similar, quick question though. Can anybody feel a vibration up through the brake pedal when applying it (mostly at low speeds)?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at the same problem or a different one.

Yes.. i had the vibration. I could feel it when applying the brakes at low speeds. At high speeds the vibration turned into a loud grinding noise. If you can imagine taking a stone and rubbing it against a file...the griding was like that but louder. The grinding was right under my left foot when driving.

I didn't get the abs/ets lights at first, but after the 2nd day, they both came up and wouldn't go away. Basically..when it get's really bad is when your lights will come up. I believe the bearing has some sort of fault tolerance and you can drive on it for quite a bit before it reaches a point where it has to be replaced, or compromise your safety.

And yes, my wheel was warmer than the others.. but I don't know if that is attributed to the failed bearing causing more friction or wieght on the wheel or if it was ambient temp. Ofcourse I didnt have a tool to measure the tmep other than going with my hands.

cardude007617
04-25-2008, 09:31 PM
hmm im not getting any vibrations when i go for the brakes... im between warped POS rotor or bearing

paintsniper89
04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
ya ive had the same problem with mine, the grind is pretty bad... it happens all the time- making tight turns, backing out of the driveway, going over speed bumps (even when i go very slowly over them so i know the noise isnt me scraping the bottom of the car)... sound like a barring? can you buy just a barring or do you have to buy a hub assembly? I get paid this week so hopefully i can figure out whats going on and get it fixed this weekend... its pretty embarassing to have people admiring your car and then all this grinding happens when you turn...

dmalle02
04-28-2008, 12:18 AM
yeah u would ahve to buy the hub assembly... in canada i was quoted 160.00

Ajaxus
04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
hm, see i'm getting a noise but it isn't the grinding noise you describe, it's more the sound you get when there's a cold spot on your tire..

back to the drawing board on this one then... ;crap

2002_AWhiteGT1
04-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Bad wheel bearing = humming noise

If you arenít getting vibrations when you go for the brakes, itís not the brakes.

A flat spot in the tire WILL cause a vibration at speed. To check if it is the tire, take the offending tire off, put the spare tire on and drive like that. A worn wheel bearing will hum even worse with the spare tire on. If the humming stops, itís the tire.

Jlewisdrums
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Just replace both bearings. It will save you in the long run. I changed the right one a year ago and now the left one is bad. It wasn't a hard job to do. Jump in there and get dirty!!!!

westerndragon
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
yeah u would ahve to buy the hub assembly... in canada i was quoted 160.00

you got ripped

remiljr
07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Just replace both bearings. It will save you in the long run. I changed the right one a year ago and now the left one is bad. It wasn't a hard job to do. Jump in there and get dirty!!!!

I think its fixed by now! I remember when i was fresh to the site and got torn apart for bringing up old old threads? wheres the complainers?