Ruff Idle! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ruff Idle!

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi, I have noticed with my car lately that when it is in idle it runs a little ruff. It runs fine no problems running but when in idle it feels really ruff like you can literally feel it not steady but every once in a while you will feel kind of a small jerk almost like its hesitating. has anyone else come across this problem? any idea of what can be done to correct this? The car is a 2001 Grand Am GT has about 240,000 kms on it. I have recently cleaned the K&N air filter, changed the oil and oil filter. any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

timka86
04-10-2008, 12:59 PM
any codes?

clean the idle aid control valve, if you haven't yet in the life of the car, then I bet it's gunky. FYI, unplug it before taking it out of the TB, otherwise you'll have a fun time putting it back in.

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks!! im going to try that this weekend hopefully it works! lol this might sound stupid but would you be able to give me directions on how to clean it. like maybe write me up a how to or give me a linkt o where i could get the info thanks man!

timka86
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
IAC valve is locatied on top side of the TB, a black cylinder looking thing, with 2 screws, torx bit. it's got a plug in it with 3 wires I believe, it's right above the throttle position sensor.

can of throttle body cleaner/ or brake cleaner, a soft bristled brush, or an old toothbrush should do just fine.

clean out the throttle body as well, it should be safe to spray the TB cleaner right into it, best way to clean it would be to take it off so the dibree doesn't go into your engine.

dmalle02
04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks again! As far as the codes go the service engine soon light is on, but i dont get my OBD2 until next week.

stewartfn18
04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
have you had a tune up recently, bad plugs and or wires could cause this problem too. just food for thought.

dmalle02
04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
actually i ended up replaceing plugs and cleaning iac valve and she is back to running smooth again.. thanks for the help!

stewartfn18
04-23-2008, 06:54 AM
i actually just cleaned my iac sensor recently too and it helped so im going to add that to the list of things i tell people to do to help with idle issues.

dmalle02
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
yeah definatelty worth doing..