major difficulty aiming my headlights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : major difficulty aiming my headlights

cardude007617
04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
hey so like 3 months ago i got some clear corner headlights for my car along with some silverstar ultras.
so anyways, iv been futzing around with aiming them for the last few months now and either theyre too low, too high, or aimed too far outside or it looks like the rubber surround around the outter corner is sticking out too far.....
i feel dumb asking this even...aiming headlights shouldnt be a hard job but i just can never seem to get em right.
any tips/suggestions?
is it possible theres somethin wrong with the new headlights i got?

boost21
04-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Not sure why they are being wierd, I've become a pro taking those things in and out all the time lol My tips are park your car about 30' from a wall and go from there. outer aimers go up/down, inners go left/right

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 12:12 AM
i knowwww lol, iv tried like 5 times now, along with a freind or 2 of mine, i feel retarded not being able to get em right.
i coulddd try it from further back tho.
like heres a link to show visibly how i got em as far as the surrounds go:
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6486/frontsideshot2ta9.th.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontsideshot2ta9.jpg)

i swear theyre still too low or something...

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
it sounds stupid, but make sure all the tabs are IN the slots... I "futzed" with mine for ever and couldn't get the outer edge to look right... it looked retarded for about 4months before I took the headlight out for some reason, and realized one of the tabs was not in the slidey tracky thing. Popped it back in and all was well. Triple check that ish, because as I recall, you have to make sure like... 3 different tabs are lined up to get it in just right.

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 12:19 AM
that could be it^, my driver's side "looks right", its mostly my passenger side that "looks wrong".
but that still leaves me with the aiming problems.... the light output was better with foggy stock headlights and the stock bulbs.....

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
that could be it^, my driver's side "looks right", its mostly my passenger side that "looks wrong".
but that still leaves me with the aiming problems.... the light output was better with foggy stock headlights and the stock bulbs.....

heh, I'm making myself look really stupid now, but whatever--

Once, I broke a tab off the spin lock deal on the back of the headlight bulb. I didn't notice because it went on at the time, but after a couple road miles, it worked its way out. One day I walked past my headlight and noticed the bulb was c0cked... might be something worth checking. Make sure the lock nut on the back is tightened and none of the teeth are broken.

Vash6563
04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9055&highlight=aim+headlights

I knew I had read this somewhere, hope it helps

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 12:35 AM
so theres a 3rd one you gotta aim? not just the top 2?

TFA
04-11-2008, 12:38 AM
bring it to a dealership, have them aim them. i had them aim them after i re-built my front end

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 12:39 AM
bring it to a dealership, have them aim them. i had them aim them after i re-built my front end

lol, yeah, get a ride with GTLUVA to save on gas.

PhantomLover007
04-11-2008, 12:47 AM
^^^^ lolz...

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 12:52 AM
lol, yeah, get a ride with GTLUVA to save on gas.

i think i'll pass.............................................. ......................................;crap

besides, she'd prbly end up buyign a new car

boost21
04-11-2008, 12:53 AM
maby we can mess around with them if the weather gets stays nice, how far from downtown are you?

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 12:56 AM
i live like a mile south of Mequon.

and yes, this weather blows dude..... and more rain and SNOWW possibly on the way

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 01:04 AM
maby we can mess around with them if the weather gets stays nice, how far from downtown are you?

Do you live in Chicago in the summer?

ryanbgb22
04-11-2008, 01:08 AM
ga headlights just suck in general....and yea, they are a bish to aim. I never got my stockers or black housings the way i wanted. Just keep playin around i guess.

boost21
04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
i live like a mile south of Mequon.

and yes, this weather blows dude..... and more rain and SNOWW possibly on the way

no idea where thaht is lol, im pretty much in the center of downtown near water street, that anywhere near mequon?

I was supposed to go up to elkhart lake this weekend for the meet at the road america track...you ever go on brewcitymuscle?

Do you live in Chicago in the summer?
yeah Im here for school, but the fam still resides in chicago.

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
no idea where thaht is lol, im pretty much in the center of downtown near water street, that anywhere near mequon?

I was supposed to go up to elkhart lake this weekend for the meet at the road america track...you ever go on brewcitymuscle?

yeah Im here for school, but the fam still resides in chicago.

I'll be in Wrigleyville for the summer... how far are you from there?

boost21
04-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I'll be in Wrigleyville for the summer... how far are you from there?

Well my rents are planning on moving, and It doesn't look like they want to be as close to the city anymore, but right now, i think we are about a 15 min drive from there

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 10:39 AM

put it this way, im like 15mins from down town, like you know where nicolet high school is along I43? im 3 or 4 miles north of that....

and no, but iv been told by a few poeple its a pretty cool forum to be on....

Graxall
04-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I had super trouble aiming mine as well, they were aimed brilliantly by the body shop after i hit the deer, but then i took them out to put my HID's in and they were focked. then i just played around with them a bit and they are decent now..But its hard to aim headlights with HID's w/o projectors.. My pass side is kinda funky looking but the output is fine.

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 10:47 AM
lol well im happy to know im not the only one thats had issues aiming these things...
thanks for the help though

cardude007617
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
ok well i looked today and i dont see where to adjust that 3rd lower outter one

notsoaveragej0e
04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
You cant adjust the third lower one, it just has to slide in. The only adjustments that can be made are via those two torx screws.

Ajaxus
04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
curious but what direction would you expect the third one to move the beam? you have one to move up/down and one to move left/right..:D

lone_wolf025
04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I had the same issue and I only recently figured out the issue when I tried fixing my HID fogs. Basically its a royal PITA but you HAVE to make sure that third lower piece slides into the slot the right way, otherwise your light will stick out real bad when you try to align it. Mine stuck out real bad and I literally ran out of adjuster trying to fix them. I do agree that aiming HIDs w/out projectors is not fun though.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-04-2008, 01:29 AM
FOR UP AND DOWN adjustment , WHEN YOU FACE THE ENGINE ,WHICH WAY do you TURN that adjuster TO MAKE THEM GO UP OR DOWN.....

i noticed with my drivers headlight at the corner near the fender is sticking out too much .

NOW i transfered the rubber molding and all 3 aimers from my factory headlights to my new TYC headlights.

it's possible i did not fully get each of the 3 aimers properly into there slots. but looked like i did when i installed them twice. so i am leaning to think that it is either that 3rd so called non-adjustable aimer may need to be adjusted .

or might even be that >> there is a grey plastic wire harness clip on the factory lights that i transfered just the one from my drivers headlight to the new headlights. maybe that for what ever reason is keep that corner of the light from fully going back in more..

i had forgotten to transfer this clip on the passenger headlight. and the passenger headlight went back in flush.

Mike Jung
07-04-2008, 05:57 AM
...i noticed with my drivers headlight at the corner near the fender is sticking out too much .

...it's possible i did not fully get each of the 3 aimers properly into there slots...
See the post above yours...
I had the same issue and I only recently figured out the issue when I tried fixing my HID fogs. Basically its a royal PITA but you HAVE to make sure that third lower piece slides into the slot the right way, otherwise your light will stick out real bad when you try to align it. Mine stuck out real bad and I literally ran out of adjuster trying to fix them...
As lone_wolf says...

Sounds like the 3rd non-adjustable aimer is not pushed all the way in; & locked.

Give the headlight housiing a wiggle.
If it isn't solidly locked in; it will wiggle alittle.
Then you need to unlock the outter clip; & push in harder & lock both of the aimers in on the outer clip.

PhantomLover007
07-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I had issues w/ putting my new black crystals in. I tried to alignthem the old fashioned way w/ using tape on the wall and all that and didn't do too bad of a job. I decided to got to the Pontac dealership in town and have them set them right... Man was I in for a surprise... The guy couldn't find the Torx driver, so I still had the one I used to set mine in the trunk and the guy was suprised that I had one. "What? I try yo do my own stuff..." lol

By the time he got through, the passenger side was out of the fender and the drivers side was sunk in alot. I had tried to tell the guy about the bottom adjuster, but he just drove on w/ what he though he was doing right...

The next day, I just eye balled ALL of my adjusters and they seem to be set pretty well. No folks hitting the high beams on me... lol

The bottom adjuster that DOESN'T have the 90* metal peice is a PITA to work w/... lol

tenspeed
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
You cant adjust the third lower one, it just has to slide in. The only adjustments that can be made are via those two torx screws.

Yes you can adjust the third leg. Some have a Phillips head that you can turn with the light in place. The adjustment determines how far in or out the light sits. The other two legs pivot on it.

mikep1987
07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Sorta related, does anyone know where I can get those black plastic retainer rings that hold the bulbs in? Last time i changed the bulbs the plastic had become so dry and brittle most of the teeth fell out.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-06-2008, 01:40 AM
my third aimer the blk one near the fender sides / at the bottom of both lights, appears to adjust by turning the blk piece the ( end actually sldes into those tracks you mention ) , clockwise or counter clockwise.

if my drivers light sits out further at the fender side , and if that 3rd adjuster brings it in or out. then that SHOULD bring the corner/fenderside light back inward. NOW I TRANSFERED my factory aimers to these new TYC lights, bcause i read somewhere last year that it would be wise to do so.

i just installed my TYC chrome+blk housing with blk behind the clear corner reflector. it appears i have water entering from the top around that inside section divider between high/low beam light and the next 194 bulb. i guess i will have to re-seal it .

hope that i find it and that is all it is. the drivers light i see no water but it took fogged up.

one light leaks and the other appears to fog after a very hot day and then a powerfully cold brushless car wash.