water pump gasket question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : water pump gasket question

mr03SCT
04-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi,

I have a 2003 Grand Am V6 3.4. Does the gasket for the water pump need any sealant on it or do I just put it on and attach the pump to it?

Thanks

99gav6
04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I think it tells you with the instructions (with a new pump), i fixed mine this past summer and i think i remember putting some on, im not sure though.

mr03SCT
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
do the engine block drain plugs have to opened as well or is the radiator plug good enough?

RedSE2NV
04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
yes sealant is necessary

99gav6
04-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I topped off the coolant and bled the system. I had the coolant system flushed the next day to.

Malaclypse
04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Usually when I replace a pump on these motors I just pop the pump off without draining the coolant. Clean the area with a razor/sanding disc and apply sealent to the pump, apply gasket, then install. No problems after having done this time and time again.

mr03SCT
04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
ok thanks for everyone's help. According to my GM dealer sealant is not nessary but optional.

Here is what I did and the car runs great:

1) Drained coolant only from radiator drain plug. I left the 2 engine plugs on. It drained about 8liters.

2) Removed surge tank and cleaned it good.

3) Released tension on the belt and slipped if off.

4) Removed beltguard and water pump/pulley and cleaned old gasket material off the surface (this part took long).

5) Put new water pump and gasket without sealant. Tightened bolts to spec. 11Nm for water pump bolts and 25Nm for pulley bolts. Install belt guard and surge tank.

6) Opened bleed screw. Refilled coolant with Prestone Dexcool premixed. Once steady stream of coolant came out of bleed screw I closed it.

7) Started car with surge tank cap off and let run til warmed up. Closed cap and let run for little longer. I found one the heater to surge tank hose leaking at the clamp. Installed adjustable screw type clamp which stopped the leak.

8) Drove the car for about 15mins and then let sit for about 2 hours. Checked coolant level when engine was cooled down and added a little more coolant to the full when cold mark.

No leaks anymore from waterpump or hoses.