Engine tune up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine tune up

Nick-G
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok sometime later this summer when i don't have to drive to school everyday I would like to paint my valve covers.

Now since i am already going to be taking the engine apart for that i was thinking i might as well do a few other things. I just installed a magnuson supercharger a little while ago and since the car has 93,xxx miles on it (still has all original gaskets never had problems with LIM gasket) i was thinking about buying this http://wot-tech.com/shop/3400/2000-heads-and-manifolds/intake-manifold-gasket-set/prod_118.html and changing all of my gaskets just for the heck of it.

I also figured i would put in a 180* T-stat and clean up any sludge/build up on my heads and what ever else i can find to clean.

So do these sound like good things to do? I do know that replacing all the gaskets and cleaning everything up isn't really something i have to do I'm mainly just doing it for something to do and I'm hoping to learn more about this engine since i have never really done much too it.

Besides the things i listed does anyone else have any ideas for things i should do?

AleroB888
04-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Ok sometime later this summer when i don't have to drive to school everyday I would like to paint my valve covers.

Now since i am already going to be taking the engine apart for that i was thinking i might as well do a few other things. I just installed a magnuson supercharger a little while ago and since the car has 93,xxx miles on it (still has all original gaskets never had problems with LIM gasket) i was thinking about buying this http://wot-tech.com/shop/3400/2000-heads-and-manifolds/intake-manifold-gasket-set/prod_118.html ......

I think that's a good choice, when I installed that set, my boost level increased from what it was before. Holding up to 12 lb. so far, knock on wood :)

Nick-G
04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
I think that's a good choice, when I installed that set, my boost level increased from what it was before. Holding up to 12 lb. so far, knock on wood :)

Are you running 12 lb with an all stock motor? If not what other work did you do because im currently only using the stock supercharger pulley but i would like to run more boost later.

AleroB888
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Are you running 12 lb with an all stock motor? If not what other work did you do because im currently only using the stock supercharger pulley but i would like to run more boost later.

Yes stock motor and trans, but at this altitude, the WHP is not as much, so the stress on the drivetrain is not as great. I'm at around 250 WHP up here.

65 mm TB with a modified IM and 28lb. Injectors will allow a couple pounds more boost, and of course exhaust upgrades. I couldn't get a 2.2 inch pulley to work well until I went to headers / SLP catback.

But I think the stock drivetrain should handle as low as a 2.2 inch pulley (8-10 lb. boost), in any event.