3500 swap, mileage? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3500 swap, mileage?

nikos89
04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Car is buggin me horribly, everything seems good yet I get 20-24mpg and thats tickin me off... My '97 Camaro SS gets better mileage and goes a heck of a lot faster!

So I'm considering the 3500 top end swap, anyone with a basic swap mileage, if I can get like 26 I would be happy...

stewartfn18
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
i dont think doin a top swap is goin to help gas mileage. espessially if you were goin to port.

nikos89
04-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Ya I know that it can very well hurt it, especially if I'm on the gas...

I just want a little better, probably going to get an intake and do some exhaust work which will help a tiny bit.

gaowners32
04-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Car is buggin me horribly, everything seems good yet I get 20-24mpg and thats tickin me off... My '97 Camaro SS gets better mileage and goes a heck of a lot faster!

So I'm considering the 3500 top end swap, anyone with a basic swap mileage, if I can get like 26 I would be happy...

SEARCH for gas saving tips.

Point one: change the fuel filter
Point two: change the air filter
Point Three: fuel injector cleaner
Point Four: SEA FOAM the fuel system
Point Five: Sea Foam the engine(PVC VALVE) and oil.

That should help

nikos89
04-18-2008, 07:45 PM
SEARCH for gas saving tips.

Point one: change the fuel filter
Point two: change the air filter
Point Three: fuel injector cleaner
Point Four: SEA FOAM the fuel system
Point Five: Sea Foam the engine(PVC VALVE) and oil.

That should help

I'm far from a moron.... It has a brand new fuel filter, clean injectors, plugs, wires, coils, air filter, mixture is perfect according to the wideband I put on it, so thats not a problem.

gaowners32
04-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm far from a moron.... It has a brand new fuel filter, clean injectors, plugs, wires, coils, air filter, mixture is perfect according to the wideband I put on it, so thats not a problem.

Didn't state you were. Do you have a heavy foot?

nikos89
04-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Didn't state you were. Do you have a heavy foot?

Nah, I drive pretty calm, and my drive to work is a 20 mile shot at a solid 70mph... I did notice if I do it at 75-80 I get a straight 20mpg which is no good..

gaowners32
04-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Nah, I drive pretty calm, and my drive to work is a 20 mile shot at a solid 70mph... I did notice if I do it at 75-80 I get a straight 20mpg which is no good..

Does it every over heat or you smell coolant?

ryanbgb22
04-18-2008, 10:03 PM
20-24 is pretty good / average mileage for a GA. I'd love to average 24 mpg each tank.

tonySE1
04-18-2008, 10:19 PM
20-24 is pretty good / average mileage for a GA. I'd love to average 24 mpg each tank.

x2

stewartfn18
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM

x3

Vegeta
04-18-2008, 11:33 PM
onefastv6 gained 5 mpg with the 3500 top swap, tuning, and headers. The 3500 heads are more efficient, meaing flow and velocity are better, plus the design changes to keep the fuel mixed with the air better.

Porting specific, I can only tell you that the work I do improves performance and won't hurt your gas milage when you aren't on the throttle hard all the time. It is very easy to hurt both performance and milage if you don't know what you are doing, which is why I bring that up.

nikos89
04-19-2008, 07:24 PM
onefastv6 gained 5 mpg with the 3500 top swap, tuning, and headers. The 3500 heads are more efficient, meaing flow and velocity are better, plus the design changes to keep the fuel mixed with the air better.

Porting specific, I can only tell you that the work I do improves performance and won't hurt your gas milage when you aren't on the throttle hard all the time. It is very easy to hurt both performance and milage if you don't know what you are doing, which is why I bring that up.

Thats a little more like what I expected when the setup was done correctly. A properly built motor will get good mileage and good power, well unless your on it of course.

I'll probably be looking into that then, headers, exhaust, intake are a definite.

cardude007617
04-19-2008, 08:48 PM
doesnt pretty much any engine breathing upgrade help mileage though?

nikos89
04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
doesnt pretty much any engine breathing upgrade help mileage though?

That depends, remember your mixture remains the same so the improvement has to create a better physical mixture. In general rules more air means more fuel gets put in also.

Even basic mods like a CAI have been known to "reduce" mileage in some cars, the colder more oxygenated air just makes you use less air and/or more fuel.

The general rule of why it improves mileage is because it gives you a better physical mixture due to the colder air *you need less to have the same amount of oxygen*, with that you gain a few hp for free thus making your vehicle more efficient.

Same argument with a EGR delete, in some cases you can improve mileage due to added power and in other decrease because you are not burning previous un-burned fuel.