need strut help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need strut help

panmanhd
04-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I got a 02 GAGT with 147,000 miles on her and i need to put struts on all the way around , i'm ashamed to say that i have never done this. All the cars that i've owned up untill now have been old, with shocks, I have a good idea about what i've got to do, but i would like a play by play on what to do with a Grand am with front wheel drive, I can't afford the quick struts, so any help would be great. I haven't found this info on the site so far.

lone_wolf025
04-18-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10383&highlight=springs

http://www.blueharvest.net/images/closeups/yoda.jpg

Much to learn you still have...

ryanbgb22
04-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Follow the how-to that was posted. Its not bad, but I'd def. recommend using airtools.

Bryan
04-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Air-tools FTW, especially for this.

panmanhd
04-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info that's just what i needed to know, just one more question is there no way to compress the spring while it's still mounted on the car by the top bolts? just remove the bottom bolts by the brakes and then remove the top center bolt while the spring compressor is compressing the spring still mounted in the strut tower? Is this possible, is there room for the strut to fall out from the wheel well or will it hit the brakes? i don't want to change my springs just replace the stock struts, buy using stock length struts will there be enough threads to catch the top nut on when the spring assembly is on the ground, being pushed down on? I've got an 80gal 5 horse air compressor and air tools, i just don't want to take that top nut off and see my springs go flyin across the shop floor. I did that with an old harley Panhead front end one time, it made a nice hole in the garage door!

PhantomLover007
04-19-2008, 01:42 AM
^^ Sounds like a compressed .50 cal buffer spring going through a concrete block...

AaronGTR
04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Nope, there is no way to change the strut while leaving the spring in the car. The spring is compressed by the lower perch on the strut body and the upper spring plate and strut mount, which the strut shaft goes through and is bolted to the unibody. You have to drop the entire assembly, use spring compressors to hold the spring, take off the top mount and plate, and remove the spring from the strut. Change over all the parts you're re-using to the new strut and re-install the spring, then put the whole assembly back in the car. That's really the easiest way to do it.

FYI, you might want to replace the front mounts too if they have a lot of miles on them or look worn. At least clean them up good, and make sure you grease the contact point between the mount and spring plate because they rotate against each other there. :thumbs: