Leaking Gasket ( FEW NOOB QUESTIONS) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Gasket ( FEW NOOB QUESTIONS)

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
I have a leaking intake gasket i was hoping the leak was coming from the valve cover(easy fix) but its right in the middle under intake. any ideas on what i should do... i have no idea how to take a motor apart or anything.. and it looks like u gotta take the whole top part off.. how much would this cost to get done somewhere else?

Graxall
04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I have a leaking intake gasket i was hoping the leak was coming from the valve cover(easy fix) but its right in the middle under intake. any ideas on what i should do... i have no idea how to take a motor apart or anything.. and it looks like u gotta take the whole top part off.. how much would this cost to get done somewhere else?

Please use the search feature. There are prolly 10000 threads on this. Its the good old Lower Intake Manifold Leak. Not only do you have to take off the Upper Intake manifold, but you have to take apart everything in the middle to get to the LIM. If you arent a mechanic i DONT reccomend doing this yourself. Take it to a shop, it will cost you up around 700$. you might be better off buying the parts yourself so you just have to pay labor.

vita
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
intakes are usually running pretty expensive. I had my intake gasket leaking, and I was able to save mine from having to have shop hours put on it by adding some kind of "metal flakes" to it and had it seal itself up. It wasnt my idea... parents have the title, so it was their choice. By my understanding, depending on the shop, it costs between $750/$800 and $1000. Ive seen people pay more, and Ive seen people pay less.

Graxall
04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
intakes are usually running pretty expensive. I had my intake gasket leaking, and I was able to save mine from having to have shop hours put on it by adding some kind of "metal flakes" to it and had it seal itself up. It wasnt my idea... parents have the title, so it was their choice. By my understanding, depending on the shop, it costs between $750/$800 and $1000. Ive seen people pay more, and Ive seen people pay less.

metal flakes? doesnt sound safe to me. The reason it leaks is because the gasket is faulty. Adding some flakes and sealand isnt going to really FIX the problem, more delay it. If your LIM continues to leak like that without replacing the gasket, antifreeze can get into the engine and mix with oil and you have yourself a huge huge problem(someone correct me if im wrong)

Ive had to do a LIM twice on my car. Both were around 600$, but i knew the mechanic and got materials at cost and only payed half labor.

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 10:27 AM
so basically all you do is pay for all the gaskets, then you just have them put it together?? my friend said he could do my car at votech... would that be cheaper?

Graxall
04-21-2008, 10:32 AM
so basically all you do is pay for all the gaskets, then you just have them put it together?? my friend said he could do my car at votech... would that be cheaper?

you need a new LIM itself, new gasket(make sure u get the new kind, i think the new one is a nylon material or something weird, new bolts ect...

I personally wouldnt let anyone who isnt a certified mechanic work on it. Its a pretty in depth job, you need to make sure u torque everything right, and put it all together right or your gnna have major problems...But its your car..Hit the seach at the top right and just put in Lower Intake Manifold Leak

Might be able to find a thread with pics, and maybe spots to buy the parts.

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 11:15 AM
A whole new manifold? lol? just not the gasket?? i see the thread about fixing lim.. i didnt know it was called a LIM sorry about posting this thread.

Graxall
04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
A whole new manifold? lol? just not the gasket?? i see the thread about fixing lim.. i didnt know it was called a LIM sorry about posting this thread.

yea pretty sure when u get the leak you need a new manifold...

alerored04
04-21-2008, 12:27 PM
yea pretty sure when u get the leak you need a new manifold...
What on earth are you telling him? Unless the lim itself is cracked he does not need a new manifold, nor is it that difficult of a repair, just time consuming. Your votech friend should be able to handle it if he can turn a ratchet and follow directions. You need new UIM and LIM gaskets along with valve cover gaskets and coolant and oil.

Graxall
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
What on earth are you telling him? Unless the lim itself is cracked he does not need a new manifold, nor is it that difficult of a repair, just time consuming. Your votech friend should be able to handle it if he can turn a ratchet and follow directions. You need new UIM and LIM gaskets along with valve cover gaskets and coolant and oil.
Alright there cheif calm the fock down...Thats why i said correct me if im wrong in my post above.

cardude007617
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
well you prbly gave the poor guy a heart attack by wrong information. did they say how bad it was leaking? cuz if it isnt gushing so to speak, you have a little time to arrange the funds for it. just keep in mind your coolant level and sometime the gasket could completely let loose and allow some coolant to mix with the oil. and coolant makes oil lose its lubricity.

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
from LOOKS it looks bad.. but when i check my oil it is going really slow.

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm not a mechanic or nowhere near close to a mechanic... anyone around me that can do this type of job that wants to make money? ill supply the parts if it can be done in a day.

cardude007617
04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
its like a 4 or 5 hour job dude......
this is why it's so expensive, its not that parts; its the labor that kills ya

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 03:19 PM
well Taking everything apart to do the job is the easy thing, putting everything together i dont want to hurt my motor because i cant afford to buy another car without a job. (currently in college fulltime) so i quit my fulltime job and parents are supporting me for 2 terms.(my hardest terms[most ppl drop out with these classes])

alerored04
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I would do it if I were closer or you want to road trip to MN.

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
thats one hell of a road trip haha.

GrandAmGT1996
04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
get a job pvssy :D

angrysk8r
04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68087

read through my walkthrough, if you still think you cant do it then call around your local shops

zukiracer19
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
lol brandon i was making good money for awhile, but my classes are tough as heck... 10 page term papers from 4 different classes aren't pretty lol. ill pass till these 2 terms are over.

Taz1986
06-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Had mine replaced twice. First time it cost me $650. Two months later my motor blew. Had to replace my whole motor for $1800. Now my intake is leaking again. Sad to see such a powerful motor and nice looking car go to crap from junky intake sets. And I dont think the Dexcool helps the matter...lol.. But there was a post saying if your car is less than 7 years old or less then 150,000 miles GM will replace it free of charge. About time GM did something right.