Grinding & Clicking Noises when Brakes are Applied [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grinding & Clicking Noises when Brakes are Applied

Mike Jung
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Grinding & clicking noises when brakes are applied.
More pronounced during heavy braking.

What can it be ?

I just came back from a tire shop.
Had them swap winter tires/wheels for the season, & had them visually look over my front & back brakes.

They say my brakes have plenty of pad & shoes left.
(I was going to have them do a brake job, if they were worn down.)

Someone mentioned maybe rust build-up in the morning, or brake dust build-up (needing the brakes serviced/cleaned) ?
But it is happening all the time; so it isn't the rust grinding off in the morning.

What can it be ?

PS: Last brake service.
My front brakes: rotors, pads, calipers, & brake fluid where changed 2.5 years/25K km/ 15.5K miles ago.

The rear drums & shoes are still factory original, at 131K km / 81K miles at almost 10-years.

cardude007617
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
come on, i thought you would know the fix to this-
just turn up you radio so you don't hear it!

jk

ridefas78
04-21-2008, 05:18 PM
same noise that i hear in mine right now. its the brake slides

mr03SCT
04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
i had the same noise.....i replace the rotors and pads and lubed the back of the pads, edges and caliper pins....very quiet now....i am using acdelco durastop and ate premium one rotors.

i believe the noise are from the front brakes as that is all that i changed so far...will be doing my rears today....i also had 2.5 years since the last brake job.

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Fock !!! :( lol

Just heard back from the garage, that I dropped my GA off to...

It turns out that I need new front rotors (& since they are changing the rotors, also new brake pads).
& the back drums need machining (the back brake hardware also needs cleaning out & lubing.)

There goes my nice Raybestos front brake pads & rotors; that stopped a little better than stock :(

It turns out that I am not driving my GA enough; & am not hard enough on my brakes lol

The brake rotors (& drums) are not getting hot enough to burn off the moisture.
Causing them to rust out (the outter brake rotor edges were falling apart).

Especially after this wet winter, record snowfall.
& my GA is parked 24/7 outside.

So they said I have to drive more, & be more aggressive on the brakes.
Or I will be back in 2-3years with rusted out rotors again.

So much for conservative old man driving.
(I coast a lot & don't tail gate.)
& saving the brake pads :rolleyes:

But there was plenty of brake pad left they said LMAO lol

PS: & my driver's front wheel bearings was starting to go they said (which makes sense, since I did start hearing some minor noises driving/turning).

Lesson to be learned:
If you live in a wet environment (or that has winter).
& don't drive much.

Drive more often.
Be more aggressive on the brakes.

In the end: it costs more money if you are easier on the brakes.
Because they rust out, before the brake pads wear out.

The garage said for my current driving habits:
If I was harder on the brakes, I would have to change them less often lol

PSS: I wonder if me liking sticker tires than stock has anything to do with it to ?

stillriza
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
It turns out that I am not driving my GA enough; & am not hard enough on my brakes lol

Ha ha ha..wimp! (j/k)

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Ha ha ha..wimp! (j/k)
Then you try driving the Gardiner Expressway every day.

Well, maybe the DVP is worse lol

Graxall
04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Fock !!! :( lol

Just heard back from the garage, that I dropped my GA off to...

It turns out that I need new front rotors (& since they are changing the rotors, also new brake pads).
& the back drums need machining (the back brake hardware also needs cleaning out & lubing.)

There goes my nice Raybestos front brake pads & rotors; that stopped a little better than stock :(

The brake rotors (& drums) are not getting hot enough to burn off the moisture.
Causing them to rust out (the outter brake rotor edges were falling apart).

Especially after this wet winter, record snowfall.
& my GA is parked 24/7 outside.

So they said I have to drive more, & be more aggressive on the brakes.
Or I will be back in 2-3years with rusted out rotors again.

So much for conservative old man driving.
(I coast a lot & don't tail gate.)
& saving the brake pads :rolleyes:

But there was plenty of brake pad left they said LMAO lol

PS: & my driver's front wheel bearings was starting to go they said (which makes sense, since I did start hearing some minor noises driving/turning).

Lesson to be learned:
If you live in a wet environment (or that has winter).
& don't drive much.

Drive more often.
Be more aggressive on the brakes.

In the end: it costs more money if you are easier on the brakes.
Because they rust out, before the brake pads wear out.

The garage said for my current driving habits:
If I was harder on the brakes, I would have to change them less often lol

PSS: I wonder if me liking sticker tires than stock has anything to do with it to ?

So you drive like a bish? nice haha

that sucks tho. i need breaks soon, i can hear them kinda jingling...

I upgraded to them ceramic pieces last time i got my breaks done and damn they lasted a longgggg time.

stillriza
04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I take 401W from brimley to DVP, then DVP to Gardiner, and Exit Spadina ...and then reverse everyday..that how I racked on so many kms in such a short time.

Nice try... You're still a lady on the brakes. Make sure you get your calipers painted "lipstick red" :angel

Graxall
04-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I take 401W from brimley to DVP, then DVP to Gardiner, and Exit Spadina ...and then reverse everyday..that how I racked on so many kms in such a short time.

Nice try... You're still a lady on the brakes. Make sure you get your calipers painted "lipstick red" :angel

what is it with you and this lipstick red today? Damn french canadians.....

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
...Make sure you get your calipers painted "lipstick red" :angel
But I like the Raybestos calipers black lol

I take the Gardiner Expressway from Islington Ave., & get off a Jarvis Street.

It is only 17 km drive each way to & from work.

lone_wolf025
04-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm having a similar problem with my brakes. They seem to click whenever I apply them. Didn't think of the bearings though. I'll have to jack up the front end and to a wobble test.

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
So you drive like a bish? nice haha...
Just stay out of the left lane on Saturday mornings lol.

This bish hates left lane hoggers, that don't move over in light Saturday morning traffic.

(I move over if there is someone behind me, & is going faster than 120 km/h / 75 mph in the 90 km/h / 56 mph zone.)

stillriza
04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
what is it with you and this lipstick red today? Damn french canadians.....

Fail. Toronto is not a French speaking province. Besides, i am just fond of lipstick red.

Graxall
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Fail. Toronto is not a French speaking province. Besides, i am just fond of lipstick red.

I bet you are fond of lipstick.....:amraam:

stillriza
04-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I bet you are fond of lipstick.....:amraam:

Hater! Go fix your brakes.

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Fock!!!

I just got a phone call.

I need new calipers too.
One of them is starting to leak.

gaowners32
04-28-2008, 02:22 PM
well arent you getting butt raped.

2002_AWhiteGT1
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
It’s sad that some good advice in this thread is getting overshadowed by topic hijackers.

A bad wheel bearing will not make a clicking or a grinding noise. It makes a humming noise that starts to get annoying at around 30+ mph.

A clicking noise when the brakes are applied – with the car at a stop – is a result of the caliper not distributing its squeeze pressure (from the single piston) evenly. This is usually because one of the sliders is not sliding properly, or at all – as mentioned by ridefas78. However, it can also be because the caliper piston was improperly reinserted (i.e. jammed) into its bore hole, when the brake pads were last changed. Visually inspecting the brakes will not give any indication of this problem.

Grinding is occurring because of the uneven pressure. It is either related to the caliper not sliding correctly, as mentioned above, or it is because one of the brake pads is worn down unevenly. (However, it is worth noting, when a brake pad is the culprit, both of the sliders may be greased sufficiently and performing their job correctly.) In this case, it is the brake pad that is causing the caliper to clamp down unevenly, which is causing the noise. Pads with a fair amount of use that are subjected to high heat loads, temperature fluctuations, and Canadian Winters seem to suffer this fate. Unfortunately, driving around with one brake pad worn unevenly can cause the caliper piston to sit unevenly in its bore hole, necessitating the replacement of the caliper itself – in addition to the brake pads.

The solution to your problem, since it is caliper related, is to remove the front wheel (or wheels, if you are unaware of the offending side) and take off the caliper. Once the caliper is off, remove the brake pads and inspect them for uneven wear. If they are worn unevenly, replace the brake pads. Then, clean off the bolts that hold the caliper in place and put new grease on the bolt ends (do not grease the threads), before reinstalling them.

If this fixes the problem, it will prove that the brake pad was the problem. However, if the clicking noise still occurs when the brake pedal is depressed, with the car at a stop, it means that the caliper has been damaged and needs to be replaced, OR it means that the sliders are still not doing their job, which is to let the caliper slide and distribute its pressure evenly. To fix this, either replace the caliper, or clean out the bolt holes with a q-tip and re-grease and reinstall the bolts that hold the caliper in place (in a final attempt to fix the sliders).

Hope someone finds this to be helpful.

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
In my case:

The clicking noise does not happen when stopped.
& the clicking noise frequency was dependant on the speed of the wheel turning.

& the grinding & rattle noise was from all the rust on the rotor's outer edge, IIRC.
^ Does this sound possible ?

& the noise stopped happening, once I let up on the brake pedal.

bryanska
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Driving your car harder may save the rotors, but you'll pay thousands more in gas, maintenance, and depreciation.

2002_AWhiteGT1
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Do you know if the noise is coming from the front or the rear axle?

In light of this new information, I would guess that you may have some debris caught in between the brake pad and the rotor. That is what could be causing the grinding noise. Although a warped rotor can cause grinding during rundown, unless you are getting brake pedal pulsation on the highway, I would not look at the rotors as the cause of your problem.

Since the noise goes away once you let off of the brake pedal, it doesn’t seem to be the shims.

Goodluck, I find this problem quite interesting.

Mike Jung
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Do you know if the noise is coming from the front or the rear axle?

In light of this new information, I would guess that you may have some debris caught in between the brake pad and the rotor. That is what could be causing the grinding noise. Although a warped rotor can cause grinding during rundown, unless you are getting brake pedal pulsation on the highway, I would not look at the rotors as the cause of your problem.

Since the noise goes away once you let off of the brake pedal, it doesn’t seem to be the shims.

Goodluck, I find this problem quite interesting.
It was mostly (I think-?) from the front.

But they did find a rust spot build-up in the rear brake drums.

No pulsation of the brakes, during heavy braking.
& the brakes seemed to stop just as good, but with all the noise.

I got my GA back all 'fixed'.

It brakes now, smooth as a baby's bottom with no noise.

It better after,all the parts being replaced:
Front - rotors, pads, & calipers
Driver's front wheel bearing (There was some humming at highway speeds, but I thought they were from the winter tires.)

cleaned & lubed the rear brake hardware.
& machined the rear drums.

hass
04-28-2008, 11:20 PM
After I replaced my brake pads/rotors, I noticed a contant grinding noise.
Sometimes it starts when I brake, sometimes i starts when I accelerate, usually it will start when I turn...
It will last for about 15-20 secs, then stop... then randomly start back up.

The right front side caliper was hanging up before I put the new pads/rotors on.
The rubber boot that the slider thing is on was off, so the slider was totally rusted.
Got all new sliders on teh front, greased, etc...

Now, I know I may be stupid.
But.
After I finished installing the front brake pads.
I noticed there were little shims in the package underneath everything.
Would they cause this?
Am I just plain stupid for not using them?

2001gt
09-16-2013, 06:06 PM
i have this problem too. took it to a friends shop when i bought my 01 gt and he said its the calipers. and i asked my gm tech as confirmation and he said there is a tsb for them. you're supposed to spray some kind of solution into the caliper itself to fix the problem. anyone else hear about this?