Blacked Out [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blacked Out

Gordy
04-22-2008, 05:23 AM
I have a 2002 Grand Am SE. The key was left in the aux/lights on mode and drained the Battery overnight. Dead. Boosted for about 5 min, turned the key, dash lights all came on, tried to turn it over, and there was a click.. the lights all went out and service engine soon light came on.
Left the booster cables go for another few min, then tried it. Nothing.. not even warning lights. no power period. Door dinger won't even ding!! Called the dealer, no help, want 100.00 for the tow.
Question is ..Is there a "trip" feature to protect the computer from a fully drained battery? Could it have been not recharged enough? I checked the 40 amp ignition fuse under the hood, that was good, could it be another?
Really stumped and have a real pissed wife, it's her Car. Talk about going from hero to zero!! Any suggestions would really help.

Thanks

Gordy

awfulwaffle
04-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Same thing happened to me, are you sure you're boosting properly? Mine did the same click shut everything off and not turn on pattern several times until i left it to charge from another running car for 10 minutes or so

Mike Jung
04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Probably not enough juice in the car battery, when you were boosting it.
(The jumper cables can only provide so much power.)

You really need a battery charger.

You might need to put it on a battery charger for a couple/few hours; to fully recharge it.

kse73
04-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Probably not enough juice in the car battery, when you were boosting it.
(The jumper cables can only provide so much power.)

You really need a battery charger.

You might need to put it on a battery charger for a couple/few hours; to fully recharge it.

I'm with Mike on this one.

Gordy
04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the advice, turned out it was the battery. The threads that explained the theft delay when you do run a battery to death helped get the wife back on the road. Between the wheel bearings both going, snapping a strut spring and the Battery, I hope this is the "bad luck comes in 3's".
It's a great car, but at 4yrs old, I'll be reading alot from this site.

Thanks