"Restore Compression" [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : "Restore Compression"

bgt421
04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

This isn't really a GAGT question, but a more general automotive one that I thought would be best answered by the experts here.

I have a friend that owns a 2001 BMW that has given him his share of problems, and upon its latest trip to the auto shop because it would barely run at idle, came back with a bill for new plugs(figures) and new #3 ignition coil(also figures) but at the top of all charges is $120 for "Restoring Compression."

There is no associated part bill for the compression figure, and it kinda sounds like snake oil to me, almost like a bottle of mystery fluid. Isn't compression directly related to the cylinder, piston, and associated seals? And wouldn't that require taking a lot of stuff apart and putting back together, needing new gaskets in the process?

Just curious. Thanks!
~bgt

cardude007617
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
isnt seafoam (~$7 a can...) supposed to restore lost compression?

bgt421
04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking... Did my friend just pay $120 bucks for some STP?
This is a "Foreign Auto" shop in rural Mississippi...

Ajaxus
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Go to the shop, give them hell and ask them to demonstrate what they did. If you can't get anything out of them, go to the Better Business Bureau (http://welcome.bbb.org/) and file a complaint.

bgt421
04-23-2008, 10:42 PM
So you guys don't think this is a legitimate charge either? I'm only asking because I figured it might very well be legit and I just didn't know that it was done. Hmm... Sounds like I might be making a trip out there tomorrow.

Ajaxus
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm not saying it isn't legit, but that if you don't know what you paid for and their receipt fails to show it then you need to go down there and demand that they tell you what this charge is all about.

And if they don't show you, or if it turns out to be an overcharge on something simple (like the seafoam) then you should tell them you're following up with the BBB and then go ahead and follow up with the BBB.

bgt421
04-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Alright... That sounds like a plan, thanks guys!