01 GAGT Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 01 GAGT Problem

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Ok Im having a problem with my car

I already figured out how to fix the high idle

To start.....
After I drive my car for a lttle while, when I come to a stop and then give it some gas, my car acts like it don't want to go (give it gas, stays at low rpms), and then when it does start to go, it kinda jumps forward an shifts real hard through every gear. And it keeps doing the same thing over and over until I cut it off for a lttle while.

Would love to get it fixed asap before anything gets worse, kinda makes me mad everytime it does it lol
So if you know something it would help alot

cardude007617
04-27-2008, 01:19 AM
check your mass air flow sensor, iv heard when they're dirty or shot the car will shift for crap

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
already checked that out....

for it to be an automatic i was thinkng it had to be sumthing els tho....

jus dont hav an idea what yet

williamGT
04-27-2008, 02:25 AM
My car did that, my tranny was going it was the valve body in the transmission.

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Ok im just trying to make it cheap

So if there is any way to fix this problem
Please let me know if I can fix it an share with me how
Dont really hav the extra money ta kick ya know

would really help me out a bit

KhellendrosxS
04-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Any idiot lights on the dash? We are only guessing if we dont have an actual code. If the light is on get it to an autozone and have it scanned but dont buy the part just write it down and post it here.

My money is on a bad mass airflow sensor as well. If its going bad the PCM reverts to open loop mode where it runs pig rich and make the trans shift a full line pressure which if left to do for too long will rip the trans apart.

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 02:22 PM
ya thx for the tip

got somebody to hook up the computer

maf circuit low
tcc stuck on

lemme knw how ta fix any of these probs

KhellendrosxS
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
That means your MAF is not reporting correctly to the PCM, try cleaning it very carefully (dont break the resistors) and see if the code comes back. If it does you will need to replace it.

TCC stuck on means that the torque converter clutch is stuck. Someone with more trans experience will have to answer that one though Im pretty sure that means that it wont engage which will cause you to have poor gas mileage due to it not locking at highway speeds.

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah I was just thinkng if that problem still happens after I clean the MAF sensor I can disconnnect it from the tranny and pretty much bypass. It will give me higher rpms an use more gas but no problem

KhellendrosxS
04-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah I was just thinkng if that problem still happens after I clean the MAF sensor I can disconnnect it from the tranny and pretty much bypass. It will give me higher rpms an use more gas but no problem

I think that you dont understand how all these systems work together because that only will work until your transmission blows up. Spend money on the new MAF now or several grand on a new trans after you destroy first and second gear in a few months, the choice is yours.

-edit-

The MAF is not at all connected to the trans, it is a modifier that the PCM uses for the fueling maps and a modifier for how the transmission shifts. The MAF coupled with a failed TCC is going to give you about 10 MPG Id guess.

-edit 2-

I know its from an 00 but it will work in your 01 as will anything from 99-05.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-Grand-Am-mass-air-flow-airflow-sensor-3-4-L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQ categoryZ46098QQihZ011QQitemZ320132999364QQrdZ1QQs spagenameZWD1V

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Ok
I read that somewhere else about disconnecting the TCC from the trans.

An ya ima clean the MAF and check it out again

Ill probably do that tomorrow and keep it updated on how its acting

What do you need to clean it?

just elctrical cleaner or even carberator cleaner?

KhellendrosxS
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Im pretty sure people have just used a q-tip and a carb cleaner. You dont need to soak it just enough to get things cleared off nicely. If its still banging into gear and you have to codes cleared then the MAF is dead and youll need a new one.

I cant ever remember reading that the TCC could be disconnected nor do I know much about where you would find the plugs for that. All I know is that your car will be reving high while you drive on the highway so you might want to at least get a few quotes on having it fixed. The last thing you need is to be wasting gas with the prices the way they are...

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 09:42 PM
A P0742 is usually caused by a hydraulic or internal transmission concern.
The TCC release switch is a normally-closed switch and anything that can cause it to stick open will cause this code.
Inspect theTFP manual valve position switch.
Inspect the TCC release switch for the following conditions:
- A damaged or leaking seal

- Sediment or debris

- Damaged switch contacts

- Stuck switch contacts
or
TCC control valve stuck

- TCC feed limit valve stuck

- TCC regulator apply valve stuck

- TCC PWM solenoid valve stuck

- Pressure regulator valve stuck

Yeah it said to take some lubegaurd to unstick the tcc valve (p0742 code)

but anyway ima go with you on the MAF an get it cleaned. Now your not suppose to touch those wires inside right? Instead of a q-tip, could I just spray it real gd?

OneFstGt
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Go to the parts store and get a can of mass air flow cleaner.. It works great

GT-ROB
04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok

Ill clean it tomorrow and post my results up this week

thx

JfBrshie56
04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol works perfectly for the MAF cleaning also, if you have it laying around. I've cleaned my own (99 GT), and a coworker's (98 SE), and the difference was night and day on both cars. I'd always recommend people with 'hesitation' problems start here, as it's as close to a free fix as you can get, if it works.

Particularly irksome before I cleaned mine, was that after driving for a few hours at highway speeds, it would seem to just lose the top gears until I had to completely stop and pull over, then let the car rest a few minutes. That's about the time the check engine light would pop on with MAF, multiple cylinder misfires, and O2 sensor errors. Since I've cleaned that sucker - it's like I'm driving around with a new car again!

GT-ROB
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Ok thanks for the tip
Didn't have time to do it today but will let you know what happens asap

Preciate it

MIAaron
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Got an update? My car is doing this now as well. But I'm also getting the abs, svs, and trac off, and low trac lights as well. I'm hoping it's the maf and a hub, but I'm guessing it's the tranny. :(