New to the car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New to the car

rdesmond
04-28-2008, 11:38 AM
As a new owner of a 2004, I am a bit confused by the Monsoon audio system (with MP3) How can I tell if it will accept multiple CD's? Also, what do I need to do to receive Sirius? Do I need a new receiver?

stillriza
04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Let me be first to welcome you. On a side not, if you are not harrassed or picked on in this forum, then no one likes you. So no hard feelings for those members who do.

Secondly, the monsoon system with mp3, is a single CD system. It will play regular cds and cds with mp3 audio. As for sirius radio, unless it is the unit with built in siruis, then yes you will need a seperate reciever. I don't know anymore about sirius but I am sure a member will chime in.

p.s... you will probly have 5 guys post back saying search the forums as this has been discussed before. Just wanted everyone to know I was first bishes!

Graxall
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
IIRC the stock monsoon system doesnt come sirius ready, but theres a 50% chance i could be wrong.

You have to make a mp3 cd, if you dont know how to, google it. Theres a good program called Express Burn that burns mp3 cd's very easily.

plastic_indian
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Satellite radio-equipped units typically have a roof-mount antenna; in the case of GM N bodies, I believe this is mounted just off center near the front glass. If you have no such antenna, it is safe to assume yours is not so equipped. Equipment is available for XM- and Sirius-specific installations to add this functionality. Equipment typically consists of a receiver, a roof mount antenna, necessary cabling, etc. A subscription service, of course, is also requisite. Try Crutchfield.

Kdawg207
04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
run while you can

PhantomLover007
04-28-2008, 08:10 PM
*welcome* to the site

"Roger, out!"... lol

williamGT
04-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Welcome

cardude007617
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
live by the theme- Everything that can go wrong; will.
and you should be pleasantly surprised these things hold up pretty well for the most part outside of the normal HVAC resistor, LIM gasket, warping rotors, wheel bearings, misc brake noises, strut mounts, strong dislike for bosch spark plugs, and easily blowable 6x9s you should be pretty good to go with this car :angel

stewartfn18
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
live by the theme- Everything that can go wrong; will.
and you should be pleasantly surprised these things hold up pretty well for the most part outside of the normal HVAC resistor, LIM gasket, warping rotors, wheel bearings, misc brake noises, strut mounts, strong dislike for bosch spark plugs, and easily blowable 6x9s you should be pretty good to go with this car :angel

this pretty much covers it all with the exception of window sashes, motors, and regulators. But dont let all of this scare you away.

cardude007617
04-28-2008, 10:54 PM
oh yeah i forgot about those...... basically dont shut the doors with the windows down. lol

seriously speaking, grand ams are pretty good cars as long as you take care of them.

ramair4thesoul
04-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Mine has been great and besides the LIM gasket I haven't had any real problems. 131,000 and still going. I've also got some performance stuff done and I drove it HARD (the car has made several trips down the track) until about a year ago.

Graxall
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Dont scare him with the LIM. He has a 2004. They "fixed" the LIM gakset issue in 2003..

TFA
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Dont scare him with the LIM. He has a 2004. They "fixed" the LIM gakset issue in 2003..

yeah tell that to my '03 ;crap